Zachary D. Schurin uses a "big picture" approach and creative problem solving skills to help counsel boards of education, municipalities, businesses, non-profit organizations, and individuals through complex labor, employment, litigation and education law matters.
Zach's practice includes the negotiation of certified and non-certified collective bargaining agreements, representation at grievance and interest arbitration hearings, advocacy before state and federal courts, representation at student expulsion and residency hearings and the development of board of education and municipal policies and regulations. Zach regularly represents clients before a wide-variety of administrative agencies including the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities ("CHRO"), the Connecticut Freedom of Information Commission ("FOIC"), the Connecticut State Board of Labor Relations, the Connecticut State Department of Education and the Connecticut State Elections Enforcement Commission ("SEEC") among others.
Zach has frequently written and spoken on education, labor and employment and education law issues. His written work has been published in The Connecticut Law Tribune, The Connecticut Public Interest Law Journal, the Connecticut Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Quarterly, The CABE Journal and Pullman & Comley’s Education Law Notes and Working Together blogs. He is a past-president of the Connecticut Council of School Attorneys, is Treasurer of the Connecticut Bar Association Labor and Employment Law Section and is a member of the steering committee of Connecticut Valley Chapter of the Labor and Employment Relations Association (“LERA”).
Attorney Schurin is a graduate of the University of Connecticut School of Law and Hamilton College. Upon graduation from the University of Connecticut School of Law, Zach was awarded the Fleming James Jr. Award for excellence in labor law studies and the Connecticut Bar Association’s Labor and Employment Law Section’s annual scholarship award. While in law school Zach served as a legislative fellow in the Connecticut General Assembly’s Office of Legislative Research. Since 2016 Zach has been continuously selected as a “Rising Star” in the field of schools and education by Super Lawyers magazine.
Labor and Employment Relations Association - Steering Committee, Connecticut Valley Chapter
Connecticut Council of School Attorneys - past president
Connecticut Bar Association - Executive Committee, Labor and Employment Section
Oliver Ellsworth Inn of Court
Manchester Bar Association
The Open Hearth - corporator
Leadership Greater Hartford - Quest Class of 2017
Chicken Cutlets' Invitational Golf Tournament - chairman, 2015-present
Nutmeg Big Brothers Big Sisters - former mentor
Honors & Recognitions
Selected by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in the field of schools & education - 2016, 2017, 2018
Connecticut Bar Association's Labor and Employment Section 2008 Scholarship Award
Fleming James Jr. Award for Excellence in labor law studies
- Obtained Superior Court declaratory judgment on behalf of board of education declaring that board rather than town council holds legal authority under town charter to fill mid-term vacancies for first thirty days after board seat becomes vacant.
- Second-chaired fifteen day Superior Court trial involving First Amendment retaliation claims brought by former Connecticut State Trooper pursuant to Connecticut General Statutes § 31-51q.
- Drafted substantial revisions to municipal code of ethics.
- Won dismissal of State Elections Enforcement Commission complaint brought against superintendent of schools for alleged improper referendum advocacy.
- Successfully recovered delinquent tuition payments following board-level student residency hearing and appeal to State Board of Education.
- Won dismissal of Freedom of Information Commission complaint pursuant to FERPA student records exemption.
- Drafted board of education transgender student accommodations policy.
News & Insights
- School Law Attorneys Kaufmann, Schurin and Sommaruga Lead Workshops at November CABE/CAPSS ConventionMystic Marriott Hotel, Groton, Connecticut, 11.15.2019
- Holiday Inn Hartford Downtown Area, 11.01.2019
- Attorney Zachary Schurin Presents at National Business Institute’s CT Employment Law Seminar on April 1, 201904.01.2019
- Developments from the 2019 Session of the Connecticut General Assembly: New Laws Affecting the Schools (and Public Employers)08.05.2019
- Developments From The 2018 Session of The Connecticut General Assembly: New Laws Affecting The Schools (and Public Employers)08.01.2018
- CABE Journal, 05.2018
Our attorneys routinely advise our clients on best practices to meet the challenges presented by dramatic changes in labor and employment laws.
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., 2008
Hamilton College, B.A., 2003