Pullman & Comley is proud to be a leader in promoting the importance of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer and Questioning (LGBTQ) interests in the workplace and the community. The firm encourages and supports its partners, counsel and associates in their leadership roles in organizations serving the LGBTQ community:
- LGBTQ attorneys routinely participate in seminars and panel discussions with our clients, professional colleagues, diversity organizations and others in the business community regarding the importance of a diverse and LGBTQ inclusive work environment. Jessica Grossarth Kennedy, founding and past chair of the LGBT section of the Connecticut Bar Association, past chair, has taken an active role in the promotion and success of this section, which presents issues of particular concern to LGBT individuals in the legal profession and those who seek legal services.
- Sponsorship and support for Lambda Legal, the nation’s oldest and largest legal organization working for the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, and people with HIV/AIDS. John F. Stafstrom, Jr. serves as immediate past chair of Lambda Legal’s National Board of Directors.
- Pullman & Comley also provides ongoing support for various LGBTQ-related community organizations. Among others, the firm has engaged with:
The Connecticut Bar Association’s LGBT Section Inaugural Event
Hartford Gay & Lesbian Health Collective, Inc.
LAMBDA Legal Connecticut Cares Annual Event
In addition, we have taken an active role in organizing and participating in events which promote the importance of LGBTQ diversity in the workplace. Recent events include:
- A dynamic panel discussion which featured gay and transgender professionals who explored how businesses can create and foster supportive work environments for their LGBT colleagues held in Hartford.
- A seminar for employees of a leading national property insurance company in coordination with GLOBE (Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered Organizations Benefitting Everyone) on how to communicate, share concerns and promote professional objectives for the LGBT community.
Most importantly, our legal practice has evolved to meet the changing needs of the LGBTQ clients we serve. Our Family Law and Trusts and Estates practices provide legal services to same-sex couples and, together with our Labor and Employment Law attorneys, engage in legislative advocacy and continuously monitor and advise clients on areas of the law and legislation that present issues of particular concern to the LGBTQ community.
Pullman & Comley has been a proud supporter of Lambda Legal and its mission since 2003. On October 2, 2022, John F. Stafstrom Jr. was recognized for his commitment and decades of service to Lambda Legal at the annual Connecticut Cares fundraiser in Westport, Connecticut. John recently concluded his term as chair of the national board of directors of the leading civil liberties organization focused on LGBTQ+ persons and those living with HIV.