Our attorneys represent public and private employers dealing with unionized workforces. We provide counseling on union avoidance methods and supervisory training on labor law and collective bargaining. We have extensive experience negotiating collective bargaining agreements, defending prohibited practice claims and assisting clients with employee grievances, as well as in resolving strike and impasse issues. Our practice has guided employers in campaigning before union elections and counseled on unit composition and other recognition matters and on decertification campaigns. We have resolved union contract and discipline disputes through grievance procedures as well as through arbitration and post-arbitration appeals in the Connecticut courts.
- Defense of many arbitration claims before the American Arbitration Association and State Board of Mediation and Arbitration
- General counsel to major Connecticut construction trade association, advising on collective bargaining with multiple unions in association bargaining
- Advise major Connecticut hospital on union organizing campaign, collective bargaining and decertification of union
- Chief negotiator for various municipalities for many collective bargaining agreements for bargaining units such as police, public works, dispatchers, town hall employees
- Chief negotiator for non-profit social services provider in protracted labor contract negotiations after contract termination, leading to bargaining impasse and unilateral changes in contract terms
- Successful defense against union charges filed with National Labor Relations Board alleging improper impasse
- Successful defense against union charges filed with State Labor Board, establishing that contract musicians hired by community theater were not employees subject to collective bargaining
- Successful defense of employer association before Second Circuit Court of Appeals against unfair labor practice finding by National Labor Relations Board
- Advise municipalities during grievance process
News & Insights
Our attorneys routinely advise our clients on best practices to meet the challenges presented by dramatic changes in labor and employment laws.