Russell Anderson’s business and technology practice focuses on assisting clients accomplish “what’s next” – whether “next” is a new mobile app, marketing campaign or a merger. In particular, Russ has significant experience advising clients in the software, e-commerce, marketing, market research, healthcare and biotechnology industries. Russ's strength is partnering with clients, frequently in the role of outside general counsel, to help them achieve their goals.
Russ is a Member in Pullman & Comley’s Business and Finance practice. His general business practice includes representing clients in the structure and consummation of mergers and acquisitions, joint venture, and financing transactions. Additionally, he is experienced in both for-profit and nonprofit corporate formation and governance matters.
Clients rely on Russ to review, draft and negotiate license agreements for software and other common technology contracts for mobile applications, software-as-a-service (SaaS) offerings, websites and APIs. Russ also counsels clients regarding the registration, protection and licensing of trademarks and copyrights.
Russ has notable experience in the marketing and advertising industries, as well as in market research and data analytics. In the marketing and advertising field, Russ assists clients to structure compliant advertising and promotions, including sweepstakes and contests. He has experience in negotiating agreements between advertisers and agencies. Russ has presented on several occasions to the American Association of Advertising Agencies (the 4As) and is a member of its Legal Affairs Committee. In the area of market research and data analytics, Russ has represented a wide range of firms in industry, and previously served as outside governmental affairs counsel to the largest trade group for market research businesses in the United States. He is a regular presenter to the Insights Association’s General Counsel Forums.
Russ’ health care practice embraces providers’ growing use of technology, as he represents physicians, hospitals and home health care agencies on matters related to software, contracts and intellectual property, as well as regulatory compliance. Clients also include pharmaceutical, medical device, and mobile health-related entities. As outside general counsel to a pharmaceutical contract manufacturer, Russ has drafted and negotiated numerous contracts common in the pharmaceutical industry, such as product development and commercial supply agreements.
As Russ counsels clients that collect and use large amounts of personal data, he understands the expansive web of state, federal and international privacy and data protection regulations, including questions regarding privacy policies and procedures; security breaches; HIPAA and HITECH; the California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) and other state privacy laws; cross-border data transfers and processing (including GDPR compliance); and email and telemarketing regulation.
Honors & Recognitions
Named a Moffly Media Top Lawyer in Fairfield County, 2021 and 2023 - Technology Virtual
Named a Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in 2009, 2010, 2018 and 2019 in the area of Business/Corporate
Software and intellectual property
- Drafted and negotiated an agreement for the Connecticut Paid Family & Medical Leave Insurance Authority with AFLAC for AFLAC to provide substantially all aspects of the Authority’s claims processing functions, including its website, database, reporting and call centers.
- Negotiated a series of contracts on behalf of a national sports association with a development consultancy and several major software companies to transform the association’s website and underlying infrastructure.
- Drafted several end-user subscription agreements and privacy policies for mobile applications.
- Assisted a clothing manufacturer negotiate rights to create licensed apparel using trademarks of an international auto racing event and a renowned charity.
Marketing and advertising
- As part of a substantial investment by a private equity firm in an expanding cosmetics company conducted a review of the cosmetic company’s advertising materials for federal (including FDA and FTC) and state legal compliance.
- Drafted a form of “ambassador agreement” for use with social influencers by a video production client on behalf of its global brand customer.
- Negotiated a global master service agreement for a publicly-traded market research client with one of its largest pharmaceutical customers.
- Advised a customer satisfaction research firm on how to comply with numerous European privacy laws as well as all applicable industry codes in structuring an international survey program on behalf of its Fortune 500 client.
- Negotiated an alliance agreement on behalf of a global market research firm with a web analytics provider to permit the two parties to present a joint offering to the market.
- Represented a pharmaceutical and medical device contract manufacturer as outside general counsel, culminating in its successful sale to a multi-national pharmaceutical concern.
- Negotiated numerous collaborative agreements, including product development and commercial supply agreements.
- Worked hand-in-hand with a start-up pharmaceutical firm to secure financing and create a marketing strategy by providing compliance advice on FDA regulations, Open Payments and fraud and abuse compliance.
- Served as on-site outside general counsel to a community hospital for six months as the hospital prepared to affiliate with a major Connecticut-based health system.
- Assisted a large Connecticut-based radiology provider acquire a controlling-interest in two additional radiology centers.
Privacy and data security
- Represented a Connecticut-based health care provider in the investigation of a data breach by HHS’s Office for Civil Rights. OCR determined that no further action was required.
- Provided guidance to a national sports association regarding compliance with the EU’s GDPR and international anti-spam laws.
- Drafted and negotiated protected information transfer agreements
News & Insights
- Startup Hustle, 03.28.2023
- Russell Anderson is Quoted in Hartford Business Journal on What the New Data Privacy Law Means for CT BusinessesHartford Business Journal, 06.20.2022
- Connecticut Convention Center, 100 Columbus Blvd., Hartford CT, 06.05.2023
- The New Corporate Transparency Act Takes Effect January 1, 2024: Make Sure That You and Your Company are in Compliance10.23.2023
- Connecticut's Highly-Anticipated Canna-Business Revolving Loan Fund is Launched: Informational Webinars this Week08.29.2023
- Interstate Medical Licensure Compact and PSYPACT To Debut in Connecticut: New Laws Meant to Streamline Physician Licensure and Broaden Mental Health Access09.20.2022
- newhavenBIZ, 06.06.2022
- PREVIEW of United States Supreme Court Cases, 01.2022
- Connecticut DCP Clarifies that Municipalities with Fewer than 25,000 Residents Can Host One Licensed Retail Cannabis Facility and One Micro Cultivation Facility12.16.2021
- Clarity for a Budding Industry: Connecticut Cannabis Social Equity Council Identifies Disproportionately Impacted Areas08.27.2021
- Practical Guidance®, 04.2021
- Information Blocking FAQs – The April 5th Implementation Deadline Has Passed; What Providers Need to Know04.08.2021
- Moffly Media, 09.01.2023
- Understanding Your Organization's Obligations Connecting to Connie: First Deadline for Hospitals and Labs Approaching May 3, 2022Connecticut Health Law, 04.28.2022
- Connecticut Health Law, 12.08.2021
- Vox Article on Vulnerabilities of COVID-19 Testing Registration System Serves as Reminder of the Dangers of Tracking Tech on HIPAA Covered Entity WebsitesConnecticut Health Law, 09.22.2021
- Information Blocking FAQs – The April 5th Implementation Deadline Has Passed; What Providers Need to KnowConnecticut Health Law, 04.08.2021
- Connecticut Health Law, 03.12.2021
- Connecticut Health Law, 02.26.2021
- Connecticut Health Law, 05.19.2020
- Health IT Update – Reconciling HHS’ Recent Proposed Rules Concerning Electronic Health Information with Connecticut’s Information Blocking StatuteConnecticut Health Law, 11.05.2019
- Connecticut Health Law, 01.29.2018
- Connecticut Health Law, 07.11.2017
- Connecticut Health Law, 01.11.2017
Our attorneys helped the United States Tennis Association (USTA) embark on a transformation of its online properties.
Pullman & Comley is participating in a number of endeavors to help Connecticut entrepreneurs and startups launch and build new businesses.
Our Marketing, Advertising and Entertainment practice helps assure our clients that their digital, print and broadcast advertising is compliant with intellectual property laws, privacy and publicity laws, and federal and state laws, without sacrificing their business needs or marketing goals.
- Business and Finance
- Emerging Business and Venture Capital
- Privacy and Data Security
- Marketing, Advertising and Entertainment
- Health Care
- Biotechnology, Pharmaceutical and Life Science
- Colleges, Universities and Independent Schools
- Commercial Finance
- Education Law
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Market Research
Bar and Court Admissions
College of William & Mary, Marshall Wythe School of Law, J.D., 2004
Wesleyan University, B.A., with high honors, 2001