Pullman & Comley’s Emerging Business and Venture Capital practice assists fast growth start-up, early stage and emerging companies in their funding and development. We also represent venture capitalists and private equity funds in making equity investments in nascent and developing enterprises. This group’s seasoned team of attorneys combines legal skills developed in traditional business enterprises and honed in specific industries (such as software development, application services, biotech, telecom, branding and marketing, digital media, e-commerce and other businesses that lead the world’s fastest changing markets) with experience in the venture capital process and funding corporate growth.
Each lawyer in the team’s core group has a minimum of 15 years of experience representing and financing businesses. Each has extensive experience in managing the business life cycle--capital formation, raising equity in bridge financing, seed, angel, venture and private equity rounds--and in advising venture financed and startup companies from inception, through early development stages, to their IPOs. We also bring to the table attorneys experienced in equity incentives, executive compensation, intellectual property protection and licensing, tax and securities for efficient management of the complex issues often involved.
The broad clientele who rely on Pullman & Comley’s Emerging Ventures team include those in the biotech, clean energy, e-commerce, fashion, fitness, food and beverage, health care, information technology, jewelry, marketing, medical device, pharmaceutical, renewables, software and telecommunications industries. Our Emerging Ventures lawyers bring focus and commitment to understanding the strategic, financial and regulatory needs of each business through its various stages of growth.
Our lawyers assist business clients with all of the issues and transactions that arise in the life cycle of a business, including:
- Choice and formation of entity – corporation, partnership, limited liability company
- Organizational documentation
- Operating agreements
- Shareholder agreements
- Employment contracts
- Credit agreements and other financing documents
- Manufacturing agreements
- Construction agreements
- License agreements
- Distribution agreements
- Stock and asset sales and acquisitions
- Divestitures and dissolutions
- Joint ventures
- Executive compensation arrangements
- Complex service agreements
- Business process outsourcing
- Serving as counsel to early stage companies involved in developing online financial and investment services, imaging, recording, web entertainment, medical devices, gourmet content and product fulfillment, and succeeding in the e-commerce marketplace
- Acting as counsel to a quasi-governmental agency in making equity investments in Connecticut's technology based businesses
- Representing an emerging business that manufactures, markets, licenses and sells a microprocessor-based fitness system
- Operating as general counsel to young companies in negotiations involving financing, product sales warranties, teaming agreements, establishing sales distribution networks and system supports
- Developing web site contracts for business-to-consumer relationships
- Negotiating business-to-business licensing and strategic alliances
- Venture capital strategies, including structuring blind pools, partnership investments and the preparation of offering and blue sky materials for non-public offerings of securities
- Drafted and negotiated complex service agreements on behalf of a leader in the food service and venue management industry for prominent sports venues and convention centers, including Invesco Field at Mile High Stadium (n/k/a Sports Authority Field at Mile High) and the Jacob Javits Center in New York City
- Represented an industry-leading manufacturer of timers, controls and SaaS solutions for the commercial kitchen foodservice industry in the refinance of its commercial lines of credit and loan facilities for both the parent company and several operating subsidiaries
- Represented a local pharmaceutical contract manufacturer in its acquisition by a global generic pharmaceutical concern
- Represented the physician-owners of several ambulatory surgical centers in connection with the sale of equity to new physician and institutional investors groups
- Representing a physician, a serial entrepreneur, in developing his latest patented medical device
- Helping entrepreneurs in monetizing proprietary clean and green energy strategies through renewable energy developments and smart apps to encourage conservation
- Represented online customized women’s fashion company in seed round financing
News & Insights
- HerMoney.com from Jean Chatzsky, 06.15.2020
- Federal Reserve Board Expands Main Street Lending Program to Provide Loans for Nonprofit Organizations07.21.2020
- Paycheck Protection Program Frequently Asked Question 46: “How Will SBA Review Borrowers’ Required Good-Faith Certification Concerning the Necessity of Their Loan Request?”05.13.2020
- Does the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Allow Reliance On Your Contract’s Force Majeure Provision? The Language Matters03.23.2020
With pro bono assistance from Pullman & Comley attorneys, the Connecticut COVID-19 Charity Connection – also known as 4-CT, was established and has already raised $10 million for the COVID-19 Response Fund.
Since 2006, P&C has provided blumshapiro with practical legal advice on the laws and regulations affecting merger and acquisition activities, personnel issues, and the Internal Revenue Code. Both organizations enjoy a shared goal of building lasting partnerships with clients and an investment in their success.
Pullman client RedCrow Crowd launched an equity crowdfunding platform dedicated to investments in health care companies with social impact potential.
Our Securities Law and Emerging Business attorney eagerly assisted our innovative client, Clean Origin, to bring to consumers the world’s most environmentally sound and socially responsible engagement rings available today.
With its proximity to New York and Boston, high standard of living and talented workforce, Connecticut is an attractive state for international companies looking to land in the United States.