Andy understands his clients’ need to get thorough, timely and thoughtful legal advice in a cost effective manner. Andy’s practice focuses on middle market companies and he functions as an outside general counsel advising such clients on their merger and acquisition activities, capital raises, restructurings, supply and services agreements, material vendor contracts and loan documentation. In providing these services, Andy routinely provides counsel related to the retention of investment banking services, creation of special classes and series of equity, negotiation of shareholders’ rights agreements, limited liability company agreements, development of lay employee compensation arrangements and option programs, and various other equity structuring issues.
In addition to his role as co-chair of the firm’s Business Organizations and Finance Practice, Andy is a member of the American Arbitration Association’s Commercial Arbitrator’s Panel. In his capacity as a practitioner and arbitrator, he is often called upon to draft, interpret and analyze contractual indemnification provisions, working capital targets and benchmarking in acquisition agreements, earn-out structuring and complex executive employment and compensation provisions.
Andy regularly appears before the Federal and State Wage and Hour Boards, the Department of Labor and the Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities in his capacity as general employment counsel to his middle market clients.
Because of the growing interest in acquisitions and consolidations across business sectors, Andy is in demand as a frequent lecturer in seminars regarding the buying and selling of businesses, limited liability documentation and structuring and finance issues. He is a frequent lecturer before various trade and professional associations.
In 2015, Andy was appointed by Connecticut Governor Dannel P. Malloy to serve as a member of the Commission on Connecticut's Leadership in Corporation and Business Law, a delegation charged with developing and recommending policies to attract, encourage and retain businesses in Connecticut.
American Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Association
New York Bar Association
American Arbitration Association's Commercial Arbitrator's Panel
Commission on Connecticut's Leadership in Corporation and Business Law - member
Connecticut Science Center – Executive Committee and Board of Trustees
MetroHartford Alliance Economic Development Council
Hartford Chamber of Commerce - ex-officio director and current member
MetroHartford Alliance Government Relations and Public Policy Committee
Simsbury Democratic Town Committee
Simsbury Rotary Club - past president, board member
Justice of the Peace
Honors & Recognitions
Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers to Businesses
Named Hartford Lawyer of the Year in the "Corporate Governance Law" category in 2016 by The Best Lawyers in America
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of corporate governance law and corporate compliance law since 2011; Listed in the area of mergers and acquisitions law since 2013
Selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers list in 2006, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011 and 2012 in the areas of business/corporate
Received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (AV)
- Regularly advises acquisitive clients in the precision manufacturing industry in their acquisition and sale activities
- Regularly reviews product and supply agreements for critical component vendors to OEM manufacturers
- Routinely represents alternative energy project developers in their commercial financings and assists clients with their power purchase agreements and energy incentive structurings
- Represented several investment groups in various transactions as the successful bidder as “Stalking Horse” in a Chapter 11 business acquisition bidding processes. Ultimate representation of the investment groups in the acquisition of the Chapter 11 assets and structuring of the operating companies
- Represented shareholders in early stage equity investment rounds for their high tech industrial company with ongoing advice regarding corporate governance issues
- Constructed incentive stock option programs and stock appreciation rights agreements
- Serves as general counsel to numerous middle market manufacturing, supply and service companies in several market sectors, including metal component manufacturing and automotive
News & Insights
- Responding to COVID-19 Webinar Series - Part IX: Reopening CT: Answers to Workforce and Financial Questions from CT BusinessesGoTo Meeting Webinar, 06.15.2020
- Key Topics for Businesses Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic: The CARES Act, the New Relief Package and Other Important UpdatesGoTo Meeting Webinar, 04.29.2020
- GoTo Meeting Webinar, 03.26.2020
- Governor Lamont Declares Continuing State of Emergency, Extends Executive Emergency Powers Through February 9, 202109.04.2020
- Federal Reserve Board Expands Main Street Lending Program to Provide Loans for Nonprofit Organizations07.21.2020
- One Size Doesn’t Fit All: New EEOC Guidance Cautions Employers to Take an Individualized Approach in Returning ‘At-Risk’ Employees to Work in the Wake of COVID-1905.27.2020
- Paycheck Protection Program Frequently Asked Question 46: “How Will SBA Review Borrowers’ Required Good-Faith Certification Concerning the Necessity of Their Loan Request?”05.13.2020
- Federal Reserve Board Changes Some Loan Terms and Issues New Requirements for the Main Street Lending Program05.05.2020
- An Overview of the Connecticut Department of Economic Community Development's (DECD) Small Business Express Recovery Bridge Loan Program03.27.2020
- Does the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Allow Reliance On Your Contract’s Force Majeure Provision? The Language Matters03.23.2020
Since 2006, P&C has provided blumshapiro with practical legal advice on the laws and regulations affecting merger and acquisition activities, personnel issues, and the Internal Revenue Code. Both organizations enjoy a shared goal of building lasting partnerships with clients and an investment in their success.09.24.2019
Our attorneys helped the United States Tennis Association (USTA) embark on a transformation of its online properties.
Pullman & Comley is participating in a number of endeavors to help Connecticut entrepreneurs and startups launch and build new businesses.
With its proximity to New York and Boston, high standard of living and talented workforce, Connecticut is an attractive state for international companies looking to land in the United States.
Our attorneys routinely advise our clients on best practices to meet the challenges presented by dramatic changes in labor and employment laws.
A significant number of Connecticut attorneys, in law firms, corporate legal departments and insurance agencies, turn to our Professional Liability team for risk management advice to handle their important matters.
Our firm has been a driving force in Connecticut's efforts to attract Israeli companies over the past five years through our relationships with The Connecticut Economic Resource Center and The University of Connecticut. One example is our client; H2O Farm, an Israeli company specializing in automated factory greenhouses using hydroponics technology.
As the automobile industry gained strength during the past years, the firm’s Automotive Dealers practice continued to guide franchised dealers through a host of issues from floor plan financing and succession planning to dealing with hazardous waste handling and energy services procurement to facing future regulatory challenges and managing succession planning.
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Commercial Finance
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Emerging Business and Venture Capital
- Labor, Employment Law & Employee Benefits
- Labor and Employment Counseling and Training
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Business and Finance
- Labor and Employment Litigation
- Workouts and Financial Restructuring
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D., 1985; editor, Connecticut Law Review
Cornell University, B.S., 1982