Morris W. Banks practices in the areas of corporate law, corporate securities, taxation, mergers and acquisitions and succession planning for closely held businesses. He has counseled numerous emerging and early stage companies and has been involved in more than $100 million of venture capital financings.
In addition to his substantial practice in the mergers and acquisitions arena, Moe has prepared and filed numerous requests for Private Letter Rulings and has received favorable rulings with respect to complex corporate reorganizations, divisive transactions and corporate re-capitalizations and restructurings in furtherance of closely held and family tax and succession planning engagements.
He has counseled clients in the motion picture industry with respect to the financial arrangements between producers and investors, qualifying for the Connecticut tax credit for certain costs associated with the production of digital media and motion pictures incurred in the State of Connecticut, employment agreements with performers and production staff, location agreements, and complex profit sharing arrangements with various participants in the development and production of media properties.
Moe has lectured on business planning at the University of Connecticut School of Law where he was an adjunct faculty member for over 30 years. He is an author of various articles related to taxation and business matters. Topics have included tax considerations in the purchase and sale of business interests, succession planning for the successful family business, forms of venture capital and structure of venture capital pools, and taxable and tax free mergers and acquisitions. A frequent lecturer before professional groups, Moe has participated as a panel member in symposia sponsored by the Connecticut Bar Association, the Federal Tax Institute of New England, the Connecticut Society of Certified Public Accountants, the Hartford County Bar Association, the University of Connecticut Income Tax School and various business groups such as the Connecticut Business and Industry Association.
Hartford County Bar Association - former chair, Committee on Liaison with the Internal Revenue Service
Connecticut Bar Association - member and past chair of the Executive Committee, Tax Section and member of the Executive Committee, Business Section
Greater Hartford Arts Council - past president, member, board of directors and Executive Committee
Connecticut Opera Association - past chair, president and board member
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers list since 2011 in the area of mergers and acquisitions
Received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (AV Preeminent)
Presented the Lifetime Achievement Award by the CT Law Tribune in 2017
News & Insights
- The Connecticut Post, 09.06.2019
- Giving Advice: A Resource For Professional Advisors, 09.2011
- The Hartford Courant, 07.06.2009
- IN THE NEWS: Pullman & Comley, LLC Represents White Rock Holding Associates, LLC in Connection with $1.3B Transaction06.27.2008
- “Opportunity Zones: Understanding and Structuring Real Estate and Business Investments in Opportunity Zones”03.28.2019
- SEMINAR: Tax Traps for the Wary and Unwary in the Merger, Sale and Acquisition of Business Interests11.17.2009
- What Might Wayfair Mean for Me? The Changing Landscape of State and Local Sales Taxes and Retroactivity Concerns03.15.2018
- Partnerships and Limited Liability Companies Take Note: Significant Changes in IRS Audit Procedures Take Effect January 1, 201812.2017
- Winter 2017
- Connecticut Law Tribune, 11.15.2010
- Pullman & Comley Attorneys Honored at the Connecticut Law Tribune's Professional Excellence Awards Ceremony10.05.2017
- PRESS RELEASE: Pullman & Comley Attorneys Named to 2015 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists10.19.2015
- PRESS RELEASE: Pullman & Comley Attorneys Named to 2013 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists11.15.2013
- PRESS RELEASE: Pullman & Comley Attorneys Named to 2011/2012 Connecticut Super Lawyers and Rising Stars Lists10.28.2011
Pullman & Comley is participating in a number of endeavors to help Connecticut entrepreneurs and startups launch and build new businesses.
Clean Feet Investors is a Connecticut- based investment fund dedicated to investing in green energy projects. Our attorneys were retained by Clean Feet to assist in its investment activity.
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. Tax Court
New York University Graduate School of Law, LL.M. in taxation, 1965
Columbia University, LL.B., 1964
Dartmouth College, A.B., 1961