Stephen M. Sedor is the chair of Pullman & Comley’s School Law Practice Group. For more than twenty years, Stephen has represented school districts in a multitude of areas falling under the heading of education law and labor law. He has also represented local municipalities in a wide range of labor disputes involving multiple collective bargaining units.
In particular, Stephen represents school districts in matters including student discipline, teacher termination and non-renewals, student privacy issues, budget matters, FOIC issues and employee discipline cases. Stephen’s focus on labor disputes while representing school districts and municipalities includes a wide range of service. He serves as the chief spokesperson at collective bargaining negotiations and binding interest arbitrations. He defends schools and towns against employee grievances, prohibited practice charges, wage and hour disputes and other charges that require him to appear before the Connecticut Department of Labor, the State Board of Mediation and Arbitration, and other administrative tribunals.
With his experience in labor and employment matters, Stephen is also called upon to conduct investigations of alleged employee misconduct. Examples of some of the investigations that Stephen has handled include allegations of hostile work environments, student grade changes, discrimination, and general employee misconduct.
Stephen has also defended public and private sector clients in state and federal court against countless civil actions alleging various claims of discrimination, wage and hour violations, whistleblower complaints, retaliation and wrongful discharge. Stephen is admitted to practice in Connecticut state and federal courts and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals. He has also argued before the Connecticut Supreme Court.
Connecticut Bar Association
Greater Bridgeport Bar Association
Honors & Recognitions
Named Stamford "Lawyer of the Year" by The Best Lawyers in America in the area of employment law - management in 2022 and labor law management for 2023
Named a Moffly Media Top Lawyer in Fairfield County, 2021 and 2023 - Education
Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the areas of Employment and Labor Law - Management and Litigation - Labor and Employment since 2015; Listed in the area of Education Law since 2019
Stamford Area’s “Lawyer of the Year” in Best Lawyers-2016, 2018 and 2020
- Collectively bargained contracts with unions representing teachers and administrators unions, paraprofessionals, custodians, secretaries, public works, town hall, police, library and dispatchers.
- Substantial experience in advising public sector clients through changes in their insurance plan designs and negotiating the same with employee bargaining units.
- Successfully defended a grievance at arbitration against a union seeking approximately one million dollars that alleged the school district improperly calculated the employees’ premium cost share for insurance benefits.
- Defended a prohibited practice charge by a teachers union over a new requirement that students’ Individual Education Plans be prepared electronically.
- Prevailed in a prohibited practice charge alleging that the school district’s implementation of a bonus based on the number of students who received passing grades in Advanced Placement classes constituted a repudiation of the applicable collective bargaining agreement.
- Successfully defended grievances brought to arbitration involving case of termination, employee discipline, denials of transfers or promotions, alleged denials of overtime and others.
- Represented school administration in many cases of student expulsion hearings, residency and transportation matters.
- Prevailed on summary judgment while defending a school district against a civil action alleging an employee was discriminated against for “blowing the whistle” on the district’s alleged failure to provide textbooks.
News & Insights
- December 2023 - May 2024
- Zoom Webinars, December 2023 - May 2024
- The Inn at Middletown, 70 Main Street, Middletown, CT, 10.24.2023
- Mystic Marriott Hotel, Groton, CT, November 17 - 18, 2023
- Zoom Webinar, 09.19.2023
- 2022 - 2023 Working Together Webinar Series - Part VI: Updates on Leave Policies: ADA, Workers Comp, Paid Leave and MoreZoom Webinar, 05.19.2023
- Zoom Webinar, 01.11.2023
- Developments from the 2022 Session of the Connecticut General Assembly Affecting Independent Schools10.12.2022
- Developments from the 2022 Session of the Connecticut General Assembly Affecting Public Schools (and Public Employers)08.12.2022
- Don’t Just Leave Leave Alone: Whether You Have 1 Employee or 100, Private Employers Must Act Quickly to Comply with Changes to Connecticut’s Family and Medical Leave Law01.14.2022
- Dealing with Religious Objections to Mandatory COVID-19 Vaccination Requirements: The EEOC Issues Clarifying Technical Assistance for Employers10.26.2021
- A Critical Warning to Federal Contractors and Subcontractors with Unvaccinated Employees: Time is Running Out to Comply with President Biden’s Vaccination Mandate10.21.2021
- Executive Order 10E and the Municipal Budget Process in 2021: Similar (But Not Quite Back) to "Normal"04.13.2021
- Moffly Media, 09.01.2023
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 08.17.2023
- Education Law Notes , 08.31.2023
- Education Law Notes , 08.24.2023
- Education Law Notes , 08.14.2023
- Education Law Notes , 08.16.2022
- Executive Order 10 Requires Public Schools to Continue Paid Leave Under the Emergency Paid Sick Leave ActEducation Law Notes , 02.05.2021
- Education Law Notes , 07.06.2020
- Education Law Notes , 06.05.2020
- Education Law Notes , 03.17.2020
- Education Law Notes , 03.16.2020
- Education Law Notes , 03.10.2020
- Education Law Notes , 04.16.2019
- Education Law Notes , 06.20.2017
- Working Together, 02.02.2015
- Working Together, 01.28.2015
- Working Together, 11.04.2013
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
- Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- U.S. District Court Northern District of New York
- U.S. District Court District of Connecticut
Quinnipiac University School of Law, J.D., 1995
Clarkson University, B.A., 1992