Laura Bellotti Cardillo practices in the areas of ad valorem personal and real property tax appeals and eminent domain. She is vice chair of Pullman & Comley’s Property Tax and Valuation Department.
Laura represents property owners and lessees seeking equitable assessments of their property interests in municipalities throughout Massachusetts and Connecticut. She represents clients at both the informal and formal levels of the revaluation process in both Massachusetts and Connecticut. She meets with revaluation firms, local boards of assessors, boards of assessment appeals and assessors on behalf of clients seeking equitable assessments of real property and commercial personal property, as well as in audits of commercial personal property accounts. Laura counsels clients concerning their filings of personal property declarations, income and expense reports and exemption applications filed with municipalities. She has saved her collective clients millions of dollars in property taxes.
Laura has worked with clients to successfully negotiate appeals of awards of just compensation in eminent domain proceedings, and also has represented condemning authorities against claims of inadequate compensation asserted by individuals and entities whose property interests are taken in condemnation. She has tried several eminent domain appeals in the Superior Court.
Laura has been involved in the valuation of property interests since 1992, when she worked for a Massachusetts-based property revaluation firm and then as a consultant in the Valuation Services Group of an international accounting firm for four years. Her experience includes the valuation and assessment of long-term care, multi-family, industrial, retail, hotel and resort, office and special use properties and business personal property in the United States and abroad. She also conducted real estate re-use studies, housing market studies and financial evaluations of a supportive housing program.
Laura has co-authored the Connecticut Chapter of the American Bar Association’s Property Tax Deskbook and its Eminent Domain Compendium on an annual basis and has been published in a variety of other professional resources. She is a frequent speaker at events and seminars on the topics of eminent domain and property tax.
American Bar Association
Appraisal Institute - affiliate member
Commercial Real Estate Women Connecticut (CREW CT) – board member, 2018-present
Connecticut Association of Assessing Officers
Connecticut Bar Association
Connecticut Bar Foundation - James W. Cooper Fellow
Hartford County Bar Association - Women Attorneys Section
Institute for Professionals in Taxation
Massachusetts Association of Assessing Officers
Leadership Greater Hartford - graduate, Quest 2004 class
Mercy Housing and Shelter – past board member, 2004-2010
The Junior League of Hartford - past president, 2009-2010
VNA HealthCare – past board member, 2004-2010
Honors & Recognitions
Named to the Super Lawyers "Connecticut Rising Stars" list in the area of tax in 2011 and 2012
Named as a "New Leader of the Law" by the Connecticut Law Tribune, 2012
Recipient of the Hartford Business Journal's "40 Under Forty" award, 2006
- Represents clients at both the informal and formal levels of the ad valorem assessment and revaluation processes
- Represents property owners and taking authorities in eminent domain matters
- Experienced in the valuation and assessment of long-term care, multi-family, industrial, retail, hotel and resort, office and special use properties and business personal property in the United States and abroad
- Conducted real estate re-use studies, housing market studies and financial evaluations of a supportive housing program
News & Insights
- GoTo Meeting Webinar, 05.05.2020
- GoTo Meeting Webinar, 04.23.2020
- Property Tax and Valuation Attorneys to Present at the Connecticut Chapter of Certified Commercial Investment Members ProgramGlastonbury Country Club, 01.29.2020
- Pullman & Comley's "A Tale of Two States: Recent Property Tax Decisions in Connecticut and Massachusetts" Webinar10.29.2019
- April 3, 2020 Act Provides Massachusetts Municipalities Option to Offer Property Tax Relief During COVID-19 Public Health Crisis04.06.2020
- Massachusetts Appellate Tax Board and Supreme Judicial Court Updates in Response to the COVID-19 Public Health Emergency03.25.2020
Pullman's Property Tax and Valuation practice helps its business clients obtain equitable property tax assessments on their real estate holdings throughout Connecticut and Massachusetts.
Pullman & Comley’s Property Tax and Valuation practice continued its regional expansion with the opening of the Springfield, Massachusetts office in 2019.