Karen P. Wackerman’s skill at building consensus while protecting her clients’ interests has been a distinctive asset in her career as a corporate attorney. She has negotiated numerous acquisitions, financing arrangements and contracts, and in the process has watched many clients grow from start-ups or small companies to successful enterprises.
Karen assists her clients with an array of business concerns, including formation, shareholder and operating agreements; financings, mergers and acquisitions, and business contracts of all kinds. She is frequently called upon to provide outside general counsel services to her clients, including advice regarding corporate governance, corporate secretarial matters, employment issues and dispute resolutions. She routinely works with clients in their dealings with federal and state boards and agencies, and helps them to obtain licenses and approvals from state and federal boards and commissions. Karen regularly counsels both employers and executives in the negotiation and drafting of employment agreements, severance agreements, consulting agreements, non-compete and restrictive covenant agreements and other employment-related contracts.
Karen represents clients in a wide variety of industries. A significant number of her clients are in the health care industry, where Karen’s practice includes working with physicians and physician groups, hospitals and other health care entities on regulatory issues, including Stark law, anti-fraud compliance and HIPAA, certificate of need applications and state licensing issues, and transactions that include equity and asset purchases, mergers, buyouts, affiliations among health care entities, and employment and severance agreement involving health care parties.
Connecticut Bar Association - Business Law Section, Health Law Section
American Bar Association - Business Law Section
Fairfield County Bar Association - chairperson, Business Law Section
New Haven County Bar Association
American Health Lawyers Association
University of Connecticut School of Law - associate clinical professor of law (1995-1998, 2000-2001)
Fairfield Representative Town Meeting - elected representative, 2015-present; majority leader, 2017-present
Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County - Board of Directors, 2002-2015 and 2017-present; former chairman of the Board
"Big Sister" in the Big Brothers/Big Sisters program in Bridgeport, Connecticut, 2019-present
- Successfully closed three acquisitions of medical practices that were purchasing other groups. The transactions included a merger, a stock purchase and an asset purchase, each of which involved significant health regulatory analysis to successfully structure the transaction, as well as the negotiation and documentation of the transaction, and one of which also included a bank financing.
- Represented two founders of an ambulatory surgery center from the initial purchase of an existing center, applying for a certificate of need determination, obtaining investors, relocating and developing a new facility, licensing and opening.
- Represented two medical practices in the negotiation of their credit facilities.
- Represented a client in its sale of the stock of a day care center and the assets of two nursery schools.
- Represented the majority owners of a private corporation in the redemption of their stock by the corporation, including the negotiation of the terms of the redemption agreement, securities agreements, notes and other documentation.
- Successfully closed the merger of an addiction treatment facility into a mental health agency.
- Represented a company in the purchase of the equity and real estate of a day care center.
- Created or transitioned several medical practices into “concierge” practices of various types.
Represented a nonprofit that was dissolved and its assets and employees transferred to a larger nonprofit .
Successfully closed the merger of an addiction treatment facility into a mental health agency
Advised two different nonprofits on revisions to their bylaws to change the role of members in their governance
Drafted new governance documents for a community action agency
Provided corporate and healthcare regulatory legal services to a regional hospital
News & Insights
Members of Pullman & Comley's Health Care team worked with clients transitioning to the growing practice of "concierge," "boutique" or "retainer" methods of practice.
Pullman's Employment Law attorneys provide anti-harassment training and counseling to give clients the tools they need to follow proper protocols for prevention, address harassment cases and comply with the law.
“Access Health CT” is the business name and registered trademark for the Connecticut Health Insurance Exchange – the state’s health insurance marketplace established under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Most consumers recognize Access Health CT by the bright yellow and orange logo used to introduce the Exchange to the public, but some individuals search for the Exchange on the Internet using terms such as: “Connecticut insurance exchange” or “CT health insurance exchange.”
Pullman & Comley is participating in a number of endeavors to help Connecticut entrepreneurs and startups launch and build new businesses.
Our attorneys routinely advise our clients on best practices to meet the challenges presented by dramatic changes in labor and employment laws.
Our health care attorneys were at the forefront of representing clients in mergers and acquisitions as well as in a host of regulatory matters in the ever-growing ambulatory surgery center sector.
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
Brooklyn Law School, J.D., cum laude
Smith College, B.A.