Livia DeFilippis Barndollar Interviewed by Authority Magazine on How to Thrive After a Divorce
Pullman & Comley Family Law attorney Livia D. Barndollar was interviewed by Authority Magazine as part of their series about the "Five Things You Need to Know to Survive and Thrive After a Divorce or Breakup." The article provides insight about what brought Livia to her career as a family law attorney, offering her practical guidance on getting though this period in life and ways to view divorce as an opportunity to make shifts in your lifestyle. Listed below are five pieces of advice Livia advises for those going through a divorce:
- Focus on the things that make you heal. Find experiences that make you, if not happy, at least peaceful. Take yourself away somewhere that is a balm to your soul.
- Focus on others. If you have children, you may want to focus on their needs. It may help you develop some good energy and, after all, they too are suffering loss; at the very least a loss of their routine. Do not put them in the middle of their parents, not even between a parent and a step-parent. Encourage freedom to associate. Helping other people makes me feel better; that may not be true for everyone and every situation, but I think it is true for many.
- Keep an eye on your finances. Don’t overspend, at least not until you have a sense of what you need. Don’t make quick decisions out of emotion.
- Find a good therapist or renew your relationship with one you had. If you don’t feel heard, go to a different therapist. Work on your own strength and power.
- Take care of yourself physically as well as mentally. There is great stress during a divorce and after. Get your sleep. Pay attention to your body when it doesn’t feel well. Even standing tall and straightening your shoulders can make you feel better. Eat healthily and exercise. On that last one, do as I say, not as I do, please.
Read the complete Authority Magazine article.