Attorneys, law firms and other professionals, including physicians and other licensed health care providers, accountants, stock brokers, insurance and real estate agents routinely turn to Pullman & Comley for help in business transactions, regulatory compliance, licensing and litigation, partnership disputes and in the defense of malpractice or other professional liability claims.
We regularly defend attorneys and law firms in malpractice actions, fee disputes, court sanction proceedings and disciplinary (grievance) hearings. With wide experience in the law of lawyering, we provide risk management advice and counseling to both law firms and corporate legal departments.
Our attorneys deal with a variety of commercial transactions related to the operation of law firms, medical and other professional practices. These range from structuring or restructuring a practice as a business entity, to mergers among professional practices, to the withdrawal of partners and the dissolution of firms. Our attorneys frequently speak on legal ethics and professional liability topics at law schools and before professional groups. We have written about attorney discipline, legal ethics and law office management in numerous published articles.
One of our members regularly is engaged as an expert witness on legal ethics and professional liability. He also has acted as Special Counsel to the Grievance Committee of the U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, and has served as director of the national Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers and was a member of the Connecticut Bar Association’s Task Force on the Certification of In House Counsel.
One of our attorneys serves on the Connecticut Bar Association's Committee on Professional Ethics, which is charged with issuing advisory opinions to the profession on matters of attorney ethics.
One of our members served on the Connecticut Medical Examining Board for four years.
Whether in need of assistance with business structure issues, malpractice, disciplinary or sanction claims, loss prevention or regulatory matters, professionals can look to Pullman & Comley for seasoned counsel.
Successfully defended in a jury trial a Connecticut law firm on malpractice damage claims relating to the sale of a business
Successfully defended a Connecticut attorney in a court trial for damages on claims of improperly interfering with a business relationship between the claimant and the attorney's client
Successfully defended a law firm in a disciplinary investigation into its compliance with Connecticut's regulations on multi-jurisdictional practice
Counsel law firms and practitioners selected for random audits of trust accounts
Counsel Connecticut law firms and attorneys for pre-publication review of contemplated advertisements
Counsel law firms and practitioners selected for random audits of advertising and promotional efforts, including those on law firm websites
Counsel in-house attorneys and corporate legal departments on compliance with Connecticut's rules governing the certification of authorized house counsel and in the approval of AHC applications
Won dismissal of reciprocal disciplinary charges filed by Connecticut authorities based on discipline imposed on attorney in another state
Won dismissal at trial of disciplinary complaints against attorneys for their participation in on-line advertising
News & Insights
- Hartford Business Journal, 08.15.2022
- Connecticut Law Tribune, 08.03.2021
- Bloomberg Law, 07.22.2021
- Connecticut Convention Center, 100 Columbus Blvd., Hartford CT, 06.05.2023
- New Orleans Marriott Hotel, New Orleans, LA, 06.01.2023
- David Atkins to Speak on Risk Management to the CT Chapter of the American Academy of Matrimonial LawyersThe Gray Goose, 246 Old Post Road, Southport, CT, 05.08.2023
- CBA Law Center, 30 Bank Street, New Britain, CT, 04.28.2023
- CBA Law Center, 30 Bank Street, New Britain, 04.05.2023
- David Atkins and Dana Hrelic to Speak to Trust and Estate Practitioners on Minimizing Exposure to Discipline and/or MalpracticeGrassy Hills Country Club, 441 Clark Lane, Orange, CT, 04.03.2023
- Professional Liability Attorneys David P. Atkins and Dana M. Hrelic to Lead CBA "Ethics for Workers' Compensation Practitioners" SeminarCBA Law Center (and virtual), 30 Bank Street, New Britain, 03.23.2023
- David Atkins and Dana Hrelic to Speak at the U.S. Virgin Islands Bar Association CLE Annual Meeting ConferenceUniversity of the Virgin Islands, St. Thomas, U.S.V.I., 12.09.2022
- David Atkins and Dana Hrelic to Present on Risk Management Basics for the Connecticut Bar AssociationHotel Marcel, 500 Sargent Dr., New Haven, CT, 12.05.2022
- David Atkins and Dana Hrelic to Present a Risk Management Seminar for the Greater Bridgeport Bar AssociationGreater Bridgeport Bar Association, Bridgeport, CT, 11.16.2022
- Inn at Middletown, 70 Main Street, Middletown, CT, 11.10.2022
- New York State Bar Association's "Women on the Move 2022" Panel Discussion Includes Marcy Stovall as PanelistVirtual, 10.20.2022
- David Atkins and Marcy Stovall to Speak at the 2022 Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers Annual MeetingRoyal Sonesta Hotel, Chicago, Illinois, 08.06.2022
- Connecticut Convention Center, 100 Columbus Blvd, Hartford, Connecticut, 06.13.2022
- David Atkins to Speak at Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association's Annual Spring Meeting on the Anti-Bias Provision of lawyers' Rules of Provisional Conduct06.09.2022
- Suffolk University Law Review Publishes Article Co-Authored by Dana M. Hrelic on Unequal Protection Within United States TerritoriesSuffolk University Law Review, 07.22.2022
- Voluntary Disclosure of a Communication with Counsel: The Connecticut Appellate Court Recognizes “Subject Matter” Waiver06.28.2022
- Bloomberg Law, 10.05.2021
Pullman & Comley attorneys have been closely monitoring the legal implications for businesses, municipalities, educational institutions and other organizations of the COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic, and have been responding to a broad range of client questions. For your reference, we have summarized recent publications and blog posts authored by our attorneys here: FOCUS: Responding to COVID-19.