Michael practices in the areas of real estate, zoning and land use, commercial finance, contracts and municipal law. He has substantial experience in the development and redevelopment of commercial real estate, including legacy industrial Brownfields impacted by environmental conditions. He regularly represents clients in complex land use and zoning matters involving large-scale projects throughout Connecticut and has been involved in more than 100 capital projects in various stages of development in New York State. He has served as outside counsel and general counsel to asset management companies, real estate developers and property managers, and he has represented numerous Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies among diverse industries. These include, to name a few, energy companies, big-box retailers, automobile dealerships, convenience store franchises, financial institutions, insurers, biopharmaceutical makers, telecommunications companies, restaurant franchises and e-commerce companies.
Public sector clients represent a large component of Michael’s practice, and these include multiple municipalities, economic development agencies, regional boards of education, state agencies, and quasi-public entities. He has specialization in areas such as economic development, public-private partnerships, complex real estate development transactions, state and federal brownfield loan and grant programs, and zoning and land use regulation. He has acted as counsel to municipalities and regional boards of education throughout Connecticut in connection with matters such as the acquisition, disposition and leasing of real property, the development of capital projects, planning, zoning and subdivision issues, and the feasibility and legality of various proposed ordinances. Michael is outside counsel to the State of Connecticut, working with both the Office of the Attorney General and the Department of Economic and Community Development.
Michael has represented borrowers and lenders in numerous asset-based and real estate-based financing transactions, and has acted as counsel to numerous private lenders, and national, regional and community banks. He regularly represents landlords and tenants in connection with the lease of retail, office and industrial facilities, and has represented commercial and residential condominium associations and common interest communities. Michael has experience representing joint ventures and privately held/closely held businesses and their owners with regard to general business matters including the drafting and review of contracts of all types, corporate and organizational issues and business financing.
Connecticut Bar Association - Real Property Section; Planning & Zoning Section
Connecticut Italian-American Bar Association - Board of Directors
Real Estate Finance Association of Connecticut
Connecticut Community Bankers Association
Waterbury Regional Chamber of Commerce
Connecticut Veterans Legal Center
News & Insights
- Responding to COVID-19 Webinar Series - Part X: Gym, Zoo, Frisbee? What to Expect When Having Fun in Connecticut Under the DECD GuidelinesGoTo Meeting Webinar, 06.29.2020
- Key Topics for Businesses Responding to the COVID-19 Pandemic: The CARES Act, the New Relief Package and Other Important UpdatesGoTo Meeting Webinar, 04.29.2020
- GoTo Meeting Webinar, 03.27.2020
- Federal Reserve Board Expands Main Street Lending Program to Provide Loans for Nonprofit Organizations07.21.2020
- All in on Al Fresco? What Municipalities Need to Consider as Connecticut Moves to Expand Outside Dining Under COVID-19 Executive Order 7MM05.13.2020
- Federal Reserve Board Changes Some Loan Terms and Issues New Requirements for the Main Street Lending Program05.05.2020
- Governor Lamont’s Executive Order 7X dated 04-10-2020 Addresses Evictions and Real Estate Proceedings During COVID-19 Crisis04.10.2020
- An Overview of the Connecticut Department of Economic Community Development's (DECD) Small Business Express Recovery Bridge Loan Program03.27.2020
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
American University, Washington College of Law, 2006
University of Connecticut, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003