Michael practices in the areas of real estate, zoning and land use, commercial finance, contracts and municipal law. He has substantial experience in the development and redevelopment of commercial real estate, including legacy industrial Brownfields impacted by environmental conditions. He regularly represents clients in complex land use and zoning matters involving large-scale projects throughout Connecticut and has been involved in more than 100 capital projects in various stages of development in New York State. He has served as outside counsel and general counsel to asset management companies, real estate developers and property managers, and he has represented numerous Fortune 100 and Fortune 500 companies among diverse industries. These include, to name a few, energy companies, big-box retailers, automobile dealerships, convenience store franchises, financial institutions, insurers, biopharmaceutical makers, telecommunications companies, restaurant franchises and e-commerce companies.
Public sector clients represent a large component of Michael’s practice, and these include multiple municipalities, economic development agencies, regional boards of education, state agencies, and quasi-public entities. He has specialization in areas such as economic development, public-private partnerships, complex real estate development transactions, state and federal brownfield loan and grant programs, and zoning and land use regulation. He has acted as counsel to municipalities and regional boards of education throughout Connecticut in connection with matters such as the acquisition, disposition and leasing of real property, the development of capital projects, planning, zoning and subdivision issues, and the feasibility and legality of various proposed ordinances. Michael is outside counsel to the State of Connecticut, working with both the Office of the Attorney General and the Department of Economic and Community Development.
Michael has represented borrowers and lenders in numerous asset-based and real estate-based financing transactions, and has acted as counsel to numerous private lenders, and national, regional and community banks. He regularly represents landlords and tenants in connection with the lease of retail, office and industrial facilities, and has represented commercial and residential condominium associations and common interest communities. Michael has experience representing joint ventures and privately held/closely held businesses and their owners with regard to general business matters including the drafting and review of contracts of all types, corporate and organizational issues and business financing.
Connecticut Bar Association - Real Property Section; Planning & Zoning Section
Connecticut Economic Development Association - Board of Directors
Real Estate Finance Association of Connecticut
Connecticut Veterans Legal Center
Cheshire Land Trust
Cheshire Economic Development Commission
Waterbury Regional Chamber of Commerce
- Represented an international biopharmaceutical company in the sale and leaseback of a 1 million-square-foot research laboratory located in Connecticut, including negotiation of sale contract, lease agreement, and seller financing instruments.
- Represented a Connecticut municipality in the first post-Kelo exercise of eminent domain authority under Chapter 132 of the Connecticut General Statutes in connection with the development of a planned $200 million + waterfront regional luxury retail outlet shopping center, involving approximately 40+ properties to be acquired under an approved municipal development plan.
- Represented a property owner in the negotiation and financing of the sale of a 5-parcel mixed-use real estate assemblage in downtown Danbury, Connecticut.
- Represents a regional council of governments in EPA subaward grant and loan transactions to public and private recipients in connection with the remediation of brownfield properties throughout the relevant region.
- Represented a property owner in the sale and option of a historic office building in downtown Hartford comprising 200,000 square feet and adjoining parcels comprising 7+ acres over three city blocks.
- Represented various automobile dealerships in the negotiation of commercial leases and options to purchase, and in obtaining all necessary land use entitlements for retail operations, service facilities and vehicle refurbishing operations.
- Represented numerous health care providers as landlord or tenant in the negotiation of commercial leases for office operations, surgical facilities, hospital facilities and laboratory/testing facilities.
- Represented various manufacturers in the acquisition and financing of industrial facilities throughout Connecticut.
- Represented a developer in obtaining municipal land use entitlements for a 750,000+ square foot flex distribution facility in Connecticut.
- Represented a Connecticut municipality in the remediation, redevelopment and sale of a 30+ acre brownfield site.
- Represented a regional transportation company in negotiating the purchase of a new vehicle depot and service facility and obtained all necessary municipal land use entitlements.
- Represented a public agency in negotiating the purchase of a 200+ acre assemblage for the development of a regional industrial park.
News & Insights
- Eyewitness News 3; Hartford Business Journal; NBC Connecticut; News 8; The Register Citizen, 02.02.2023
- Pullman & Comley Assists East Hartford with Development and Tax Agreements for New Market-Rate ApartmentsJournal Inquirer, 02.16.2022
- Executive Order 10E and the Municipal Budget Process in 2021: Similar (But Not Quite Back) to "Normal"04.13.2021
- Connecticut CARES Small Business Grant Program Created to Help Small Businesses and Non-Profits Recover from Challenges of COVID-19 Pandemic10.29.2020
- Real Estate
- Land Use
- Brownfield Redevelopment
- Business and Finance
- Commercial Finance
- Condominiums, Residential Associations and Community Organizations
- Municipal Law
- Real Estate Acquisitions and Sales
- Real Estate Leasing
- Residential, Commercial and Community Development Projects
- Town Governments, Departments and Authorities
- Workouts and Financial Restructuring
Bar and Court Admissions
- New York
American University, Washington College of Law, 2006
University of Connecticut, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003