Pullman & Comley’s Water practice focuses on water utilities as well as water treatment and discharge matters. The practice brings together attorneys across various disciplines to serve clients including water utilities, municipalities, private water companies, publicly owned treatment works, private wastewater treatment plant operators and industrial users and dischargers of water.
Our group consists of attorneys with transactional and regulatory experience in the utility, environmental, business, real estate, land use and litigation areas. Attorneys in this section have extensive experience before the Connecticut Department of Public Utility Control, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, the Connecticut Department of Public Health, the Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection, the Connecticut Siting Council, the Massachusetts Department of Public Utilities and similar agencies throughout the East Coast. Our attorneys also regularly practice before local zoning, wetlands and land use agencies with respect to the siting and maintenance of facilities.
- Representation of water utility in rate proceedings before state regulators
- Advice and representation in connection with acquisitions of water utilities
- Representation of water utility on customer-related issues
- Representation of parties involved in disputes associated with water companies’ water allocation rights
- Representation of hydroelectric projects before regulatory agencies and in construction contract negotiations and disputes
- Representation in connection with obtaining regulatory approvals of dams and water treatment facilities
- Negotiation of the sale of water rights and service territories from one water utility to another
- Representation of water companies before the Department of Public Health in connection with water health regulations
- Representation of a publicly-owned treatment works in the negotiation, acquisition and regulatory approval of green technology to address sludge issues
- Land use and easements in connection with water and sewer lines and facilities
- Representation in connection with contaminated drinking water wells
- Representation of private water treatment company in connection with environmental and health and safety violations
- Representation of publicly owned treatment works in response to odor complaints
In an acquisition that combined New England's largest energy company with the region's largest energy company with the region's largest private water company, Eversource Energy completed an acquisition of Aquarion Water Company for a value of $1.675 billion.
Pullman & Comley has been front and center in a groundbreaking matter that has far-reaching implications for the water, electric and natural gas industries – as well as public utilities in general.