Marie V. Phelan practices in the area of public finance.
She is bond counsel to the University of Connecticut, the South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority, the Connecticut Innovations, Incorporated, the Connecticut Health and Educational Facilities Authority, the Housing Authority of the City of New Haven, the Housing Authority of the City of Bridgeport and numerous other housing authorities municipalities in Connecticut. She is special counsel to the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority. In addition, she has represented numerous underwriters, trustees and borrowers in connection with the issuance of general obligation and revenue bonds.
Marie has extensive experience with general obligation and revenue financing, conduit loan financings, including financings that qualify for low income housing tax credits, tax increment financing, clean water fund financings, pension financing, lease financings and the issuance of certificates of participation. She has worked with distressed municipalities and drafted legislation in connection with multiple municipal finance issues.
Connecticut Bar Association
Council of Development Finance Agencies
Government Finance Officers Association
National Association of Bond Lawyers
National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
State of Connecticut's Municipal Finance Advisory Commission - former chairman
Connecticut Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - 2005 Woman of the Year
Honors & Recognitions
Selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers list in 2006 in the area of government finance
- Bond counsel to a water authority in connection with numerous revenue bond financings, totaling over $500 million in aggregate principal amount
- Bond counsel to a university in connection with more than $1 billion in debt service commitment bonds and refunding bonds
- Bond counsel to a special taxing district in connection with the issuance of bonds secured by special assessments and a tax increment
- Bond counsel to several housing authorities in connection with the issuance of conduit private activity bonds
- SWAP counsel to a water authority in connection with the execution, delivery and subsequent termination of an $80 million forward dated swap agreement
- Bond counsel to a university in connection with the lease financing of a cogeneration facility
- Bond counsel to a municipality in connection with the financing of its wastewater treatment plant and incinerator with taxable and tax exempt certificates of participation
- Bond counsel to several municipalities in connection with their issuances of pension obligation bonds
- Bond counsel to a housing authority in connection with the issuance of capital fund financing program revenue bonds
- Disclosure counsel to a municipality in connection with the issuance of municipal tax increment financing bonds and bond counsel in connection with the refunding of such bonds
- Representation of numerous underwriters in connection with the issuance of municipal, university and state of Connecticut bond and certificate of participation issues
- Representation of several housing authorities in connection with the issuance of bonds to finance housing projects owned by 501(c)(3) corporations, limited partnerships or limited liability companies
News & Insights
- ALERT: Municipalities Should Not Miss the Deadline for Submitting Applications for Clean Renewable Energy Bonds07.23.2009
In November 2016, the firm’s Government Finance practice served as bond counsel to the State of Connecticut Health and Educational Facilities Authority on its $115,785,000 Revenue Bonds, Masonicare Issues, Series F and G. Masonicare is the largest provider of senior health care, senior living, home care and hospice in Connecticut.
Pullman & Comley’s work with educational institutions extends beyond the K-12 classrooms to the campuses of several colleges and universities. Within the last year, attorneys from across the firm have partnered with college and university administrators on a variety of issues.
Bar and Court Admissions
University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D. , with honors, 1989
Wesleyan University, B.A., with honors, 1983