Kristin B. Mayhew is a recognized litigation attorney focusing her practice in the areas of bankruptcy, corporate restructuring, creditor’s rights, workouts, business law and business litigation. She has extensive experience representing creditors, secured lenders, creditors’ committees, Chapter 11 trustees, commercial landlords, trade creditors and debtors-in possession in both reorganizations and liquidations in federal bankruptcy court and out of court workouts. Kristin also has a broad range of experience handling complex commercial litigation matters, including resolving business-related disputes in both state and federal courts. She has represented parties across a span of industries, including arts and entertainment, communication, construction, energy, financial services, healthcare, manufacturing, real estate and retail.
Kristin is a past president and chairperson of the Connecticut Chapter of the Turnaround Management Association and presently serves as a member of its Board of Directors. She also holds several leadership roles within the Connecticut Bar Association’s Commercial Law & Bankruptcy Section, currently serving as chair of the Executive Committee and on the Public Outreach Committee. She is a board member of the International Women’s Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Connecticut Chapter and is also a Fellow of the Connecticut Bar Foundation.
Turnaround Management Association, Connecticut Chapter - board of directors (2007-present); chairman (2012-2014); president (2009-2011)
Connecticut Bar Association, Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section - Executive Committee (2015-present) and chair (2022); vice chair (2020-2021); secretary and treasurer (2018-2019); Public Outreach Committee (2021-2022); Connecticut Annual Bankruptcy Conference Planning Committee (2018-2021); Bench/Bar Committee, chair (2016-2018)
International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation, Connecticut Chapter - board of directors, (2009-present)
The Business Council of Fairfield County - Leadership Program
Connecticut Bar Foundation, Fellow
American Bankruptcy Institute
American Bar Association
Honors & Recognitions
Named a Best Lawyer in the 2023 and 2024 Edition of Best Lawyers in America for Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law and Commercial Litigation for 2024
- Represented lender as lead counsel in a $15 million foreclosure action in the District of Connecticut and successfully defeated borrower's counterclaims and affirmative defenses sounding in fraud, breach of contract, Connecticut Unfair Trade Practices Act and predatory lending after 4-day bench trial.
- Co-counsel to secured creditor in Chapter 11 case of In re Curtis James Jackson (50 Cent) in Connecticut Bankruptcy Court.
- Represent secured lender in multi-million dollar foreclosure and fraudulent transfer action against six (6) corporate borrowers in the District of New Jersey.
- Represented general contractor with a secured claim in a complex Chapter 11 proceeding in the Connecticut Bankruptcy Court resulting in a successful mediation involving more than a dozen parties.
- Representation of institutional lenders in numerous real estate bankruptcies.
- Represented successful purchaser of assets in a multi-million dollar Section 363 sale in Connecticut Bankruptcy Court.
- Representation of Chapter 11 Trustee of Connecticut nursing home.
- Representation of Chapter 11 Trustee of liquidating asbestos products company with over $6 billion in asbestos liabilities.
- Representation of Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors to an in-home healthcare provider and its seven (7) subsidiaries in Chapter 11 pending in the District of Connecticut.
- Representation of Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors to a computer software company and its eleven subsidiaries in Chapter 11 pending in the District of Connecticut.
- Representation of healthcare corporation and its fifteen subsidiaries as debtors in Chapter 11 proceeding in the District of Delaware.
- Represented unsecured creditor in contested confirmation proceeding in the bankruptcy case of MobileMedia Communications, Inc. in the District of Delaware.
- Represented numerous lenders in commercial foreclosure proceedings and out of court workouts in Connecticut.
- Representation of foreign representative in ancillary proceeding pursuant to Section 304 of the Bankruptcy Code in the Southern District of New York.
- Represented commercial lessor in connection with property lease to Chapter 11 debtor in the Allegheny Health Education & Research Foundation bankruptcy proceeding in the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Representation of lessor of commercial property in Chapter 11 case of U.S. One Communications in District of Delaware.
- Represented trustees, debtors and creditors in Chapter 7, 11 and 13 in bankruptcy-related litigation involving asset sales, claims objections, preferences, fraudulent conveyances, relief from the automatic stay, executory contracts and unexpired leases.
- Represented Chapter 7 Trustee, prosecution of fraudulent transfer action arising from LBO, significant settlement for the Estate.
- Represented owner of distressed assisted living facility and sale of same.
- Successfully defended preference recipient in adversary proceedings brought in CT, DE, NH, PA, NJ, NY and CA.
News & Insights
- Bankruptcy and Creditors' Rights Team to Present on Secured Creditors' Rights Under Article 9 at CTTMA LuncheonZoom Webinar, 09.18.2023
- Connecticut Convention Center, 100 Columbus Blvd., Hartford CT, 06.05.2023
- Kristin B. Mayhew to Present on Trial Practice in Bankruptcy Court in a Fairfield County Bar Association WebinarZoom, 03.20.2023
- Connecticut Supreme Court Rules that New Homestead Law Applies to Protect up to $250,000 in Equity in a Home from Debts Incurred Prior to Act’s Effective Date08.08.2023
- BANKRUPTCY BEAT: Delaware Bankruptcy Court Approves Trustee's Use of Prejudgment Asset Freeze Injunction in Fraudulent Transfer Case02.16.2023
- The Best Lawyers in America®, 08.17.2023
Bar and Court Admissions
- New Jersey
- Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court, Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. District Court, Middle District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Second Circuit
Pennsylvania State University - Dickinson School of Law, J.D., magna cum laude
Lafayette College, B.A.