Updates on Title IX and School Expulsions
One of the most unfortunate after-shocks of the COVID-19 pandemic has been a dramatic spike in student disciplinary issues. Do your administrators and board members understand their legal obligations in connection with student discipline? In the first part of our School Law webinar, attorney Zachary D. Schurin reviewed and discussed:
- search and seizure issues,
- FERPA obligations,
- mandatory and non-mandatory expulsions,
- expulsion hearing procedures and
- best practices for preparing and putting on an expulsion case to your board or a hearing officer.
Attorney Melinda B. Kaufmann then discussed how the new Title IX regulations regarding sexual harassment in schools have played out since they went into effect over a year and a half ago. She covered:
- what schools are doing right and what they are getting wrong,
- what your district needs to do to get into compliance with the Title IX requirements and
- what actions the district can take to reduce sexual harassment of students in its schools.
To view the full recording of this webinar, please visit our Zoom page.