SEMINAR: Pullman & Comley Labor & Employment Attorneys to Discuss Best Practices for Hiring and Firing
Pullman & Comley Labor, Employment Law and Employee Benefits attorneys Joshua Hawks-Ladds, chair, Robert Hinton and Rachel Ginsburg presented the seminar "The Do's and Don'ts of Hiring and Firing" at the Middlesex Chamber in Middletown, Connecticut on February 9, 2016.
The discussion focused on helping small business owners, HR personnel and managers understand the legal issues presented by modern hiring and firing decisions, and presented practical steps employers can take to minimize litigation risk.
Specific topics covered included:
- Employment background checks and due diligence
- Drug testing and medical inquiries
- Application and interview process
- Fraudulent employment and/or educational references
- When to discipline and when to fire
- Effective preparation for termination and conducting terminations
- Most common pitfalls and employer best practices