Attorney Joshua A. Hawks-Ladds Presented at ACI National Employment Practices Liability Insurance Forum
Pullman & Comley attorney Joshua A. Hawks-Ladds, chair of the Labor, Employment Law and Employee Benefits practice, was a speaker at the American Conference Institute's 25th Annual National Forum on Employment Practices Liability Insurance.
Attorney Hawks-Ladds co-presented, "Navigating the ADA, FMLA and Worker's Compensation Maze: Coverage Complexities, 'Hot Button' Accommodation Issues and Accessibility Claims (Including Recent Heightened Focus on Website Accessibility), and Solutions for Minimizing Exposure to Disability Discrimination/FMLA Claims" on the second day of the conference.
The presentation covered:
- Navigating the complexities involved with the intersection of the ADA, FMLA and Workers’ Compensation rules
- Ongoing hurdles relating to ADA amendments
- The EEOC’s continued efforts in ADA litigation
- The latest on reasonable accommodations and satisfying the requirement to engage in the “interactive” and “deliberative” process in determining accommodations
- The latest on what is deemed “reasonable” given the ADA’s lack of hard and fast rules
- The rise in mental disability/accommodation claims and the unique hurdles in identifying and accommodating mental disabilities
- The recent rise in ADA website accessibility claims (accommodations of disabilities relating to use of company websites); what to expect from DOJ’s pending website accessibility rules
- Training employees regarding FMLA leave and accommodation