Pullman & Comley’s Appellate Practice Group draws together into one effective force, all of your potential appellate needs, including appeals to the Federal Circuit Courts or the United States Supreme Court; appeals to the Connecticut Appellate and Supreme Courts; and appeals from local and state agencies to the Superior Court. When the stakes are high enough to attempt to correct an underlying error or preserve an existing decision, Pullman & Comley’s Appellate Practice Group is there to help.
Our firm’s reputation for authoritative and effective appellate advocacy is recognized statewide and our seasoned litigators and former appellate law clerks represent clients with skill and professionalism. Businesses, municipal and government agencies, nonprofit institutions and individual clients routinely turn to us for appellate counsel. Our attorneys, many of whom have helped shape Connecticut law, handle all types of appeals, from the most complex matters to straight-forward cases across a broad range of subject areas and bring to each case a distinctive set of skills and experience, including:
- Counsel and advice as to preserving appellate issues, the appropriateness of appealing, and strategies for success
- Analyzing and pursuing litigation strategies in the appellate courts to expedite appeals
- Preparing and opposing petitions for certiorari and records for review
- Providing representation during mediation efforts by appellate court officers
- Excellence in written and oral advocacy before all appellate tribunals
Recent Appellate victories include:
1. Turner v. EASTCONN Regional Education Service Center U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit December 17, 2014. Result: Affirmance of decision below, rendering verdict in favor of our client
2. FairwindCT, Inc. v. Connecticut Siting Council, (SC 19090, SC 19091) Connecticut Supreme Court September 23, 2014. Result: Unanimous affirmance of decision below, rendering verdict in favor of our client
3. Lois DeMayo et al. v. Michael D. Quinn, (SC 19343) Connecticut Supreme Court December 23, 2014 Result: Unanimous affirmance of decision below, rendering verdict in favor of our client
4. C & H Electric, Inc. v. Town of Bethel, (SC 19162) Connecticut Supreme Court August 5, 2014 Result: Unanimous affirmance of decision below, rendering verdict in favor of our client
5. Flannery v. Singer Asset Finance Co., LLC, (SC 18821) Connecticut Supreme Court June 24, 2014 Result: Affirmance of decision below, rendering verdict in favor of our client
6. Vincent S. Andrews, Robert L. Andrews v. Christopher McCarron, Laffit Pincay, Jr., U. S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit February 12, 2015. Result: Affirmance of decision below in favor of our clients that fraud debt could not be discharged.
7. Hornung v Hornung (SC19361) Connecticut Supreme Court November 3, 2015 Result: Appeal involved the enforceability, interpretation and application of a prenuptial agreement, and includes discussion concerning the utility of a "contingent cross appeal."
8. Wood v Wood (AC36307) Connecticut Appellate Court October 27, 2015 Result: Appellate Court emphasized that inherited assets are subject to distribution in divorce cases.