Lee D. Hoffman is chair of Pullman & Comley's Environmental, Energy and Telecommunications Department and is a member of the firm's Executive Committee. Lee litigates and advises clients in the areas of environmental law, energy and utility matters and toxic tort suits.
Lee advises clients on various environmental matters including counseling them on environmental compliance issues, the redevelopment of contaminated properties (“brownfields”) to productive use, assisting with facility audits, advising companies on the ramifications associated with the acquisition or divestiture of assets, regulatory interpretation and conducting facility audits.
Lee also represents parties in proceedings before the Connecticut Public Utilities Regulatory Authority and the Connecticut Siting Council. His experience includes representing utility companies, municipalities, lenders and private power producers in connection with the siting of facilities, transmission lines and pipelines; representing interested parties in connection with cable franchise renewals; financing power projects and representing wireless carriers in the siting of telecommunications facilities.
With respect to litigation matters, Lee represents individuals and municipalities in all areas of environmental, energy and regulatory law. His experience includes trial and appellate work in both civil and criminal environmental matters, utility rate-making proceedings, toxic torts, representation before administrative agencies and Superfund litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Lee served as in-house counsel at The Hartford, where he defended The Hartford in declaratory judgment actions and oversaw defense attorneys in underlying toxic tort litigation.
- Defended Fortune 500 corporations, water companies and POTWs against criminal charges of violations of the Clean Water Act and violations of other federal and state environmental statutes
- Participated as a member of Connecticut's Two Storm Panel, focusing on increasing infrastructure reliability and emergency response
- Represented independent power producer in connection with regulatory, contractual and insurance issues associated with a construction accident that involved multiple injuries, deaths and property damage
- Advised the governor of Connecticut on energy policy issues
- Obtained approval of site-specific remediation standards to allow for the redevelopment of a contaminated industrial site to an apartment complex
- Represented several utility companies in connection with their acquisition or divestiture of natural gas pipelines, electric generation assets and water utilities
- Represented both lenders and borrowers in connection with financing of independent power projects
- Assisted utility and telecommunications clients in developing permitting and siting strategies for new and existing facilities
- Represented parties in connection with the acquisition of water rights for municipal drinking water
- Obtained permits and siting approvals for renewable energy projects, including wind, solar, landfill gas and biomass projects
- Represented real estate developers in connection with development and construction of commercial properties on brownfield sites
- Represented a manufacturer before the U.S. Court of Appeals in a successful appeal of EPA sanctions
- Represented Fortune 500 corporations and publicly-traded companies in defense of federal and state Superfund actions
- Defended toxic tort claims against an international manufacturer in matters in five different states
- Redeveloped a contaminated mill into a productive office/light industrial complex
- Defended a municipality in stigma and personal injury cases arising from contamination of drinking water wells and proximity to a landfill
- Advised companies on corporate disclosure requirements under environmental laws
- Represented a television network before Connecticut regulators in connection with carriage rights on various cable company franchises
- Represented various shipping companies in connection with allegations of oil spills and other maritime accidents
- Represented manufacturers in administrative hearings before the U.S. EPA and the Connecticut DEP
- American Bar Association - Litigation Section; Environment, Energy and Resources Section
- Connecticut Bar Association - secretary, Environmental Section; past chair, Energy, Public Utility and Communications Law Section
- Air & Waste Management Association - board member
- Connecticut Business and Industry Association's Environmental Policies Council - Steering Committee member and chair of the Energy Task Force
- Connecticut Department of Environmental Protection (DEEP)'s Remediation Standard Regulation (RSR) External Advisory Committee - past member
- Connecticut DEEP's SIP Regulatory Advisory Committee member
- Connecticut General Assembly's Brownfields Working Group member
- Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity - past board of directors member
- Town of Windsor's Redevelopment Agency - secretary
- University of Connecticut School of Law - adjunct professor,1999 - 2011
- First Church in Windsor - board of trustees
- Talcott Mountain Science Center for Student Involvement - STEM Advisory Committee
Honors & Awards
- Received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (AV)
- Listed in Who's Who Legal in the area of environment, 2010, 2011, 2012
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers to Businesses in environmental law
- Named Hartford Lawyer of the Year in the "Energy Law" category in 2016 by The Best Lawyers in America
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of energy and environmental law since 2012
- Selected to the Super Lawyers list since 2007 in the areas of environmental, energy & natural resources and utilities
- Named an MS Corporate Achiever of Greater Hartford by the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, 2008
- Recipient of the Hartford Business Journal's "40 Under Forty" Award, recognizing him as one of Hartford County's top "young leaders"