Pullman & Comley represents attorneys, law firms and other professionals, including physicians and other licensed health care providers, accountants, stock brokers, insurance and real estate agents in business transactions, regulatory compliance, licensing and litigation.
We regularly defend attorneys and law firms in malpractice actions, fee disputes, court sanction proceedings and disciplinary (grievance) hearings. With wide experience in the law of lawyering, we provide risk management advice and counseling to both law firms and corporate legal departments.
Our attorneys deal with a variety of commercial transactions related to the operation of law firms, medical and other professional practices. These range from structuring or restructuring a practice as a business entity, to mergers among professional practices, to the withdrawal of partners and the dissolution of firms. Our attorneys frequently speak on legal ethics and professional liability topics at law schools and before professional groups. We have written about attorney discipline, legal ethics and law office management in numerous published articles.
One of our members regularly is engaged as an expert witness on legal ethics and professional liability. He also has acted as Special Counsel to the Grievance Committee of the U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut, and has served as director of the national Association of Professional Responsibility Lawyers and was a member of the Connecticut Bar Association’s Task Force on the Certification of In House Counsel.
One of our attorneys serves on the Connecticut Bar Association's Committee on Professional Ethics, which is charged with issuing advisory opinions to the profession on matters of attorney ethics.
One of our members served on the Connecticut Medical Examining Board for four years.
Whether in need of assistance with business structure issues, malpractice, disciplinary or sanction claims, loss prevention or regulatory matters, professionals can look to Pullman & Comley for seasoned counsel.
- Successfully defended in a jury trial a Connecticut law firm on malpractice damage claims relating to the sale of a business
- Successfully defended a Connecticut attorney in a court trial for damages on claims of improperly interfering with a business relationship between the claimant and the attorney's client
- Successfully defended a law firm in a disciplinary investigation into its compliance with Connecticut's regulations on multi-jurisdictional practice
- Counsel law firms and practitioners selected for random audits of trust accounts
- Counsel Connecticut law firms and attorneys for pre-publication review of contemplated advertisements
- Counsel law firms and practitioners selected for random audits of advertising and promotional efforts, including those on law firm websites
- Counsel in-house attorneys and corporate legal departments on compliance with Connecticut's rules governing the certification of authorized house counsel and in the approval of AHC applications
- Won dismissal of reciprocal disciplinary charges filed by Connecticut authorities based on discipline imposed on attorney in another state
- Won dismissal at trial of disciplinary complaints against attorneys for their participation in on-line advertising