The firm’s Employee Benefits practice provides a broad range of services to clients of all sizes, assisting them in understanding and managing increasingly complex employee benefits laws and regulations.
Our Employee Benefits practice is among the largest in Connecticut, providing our clients with depth of experience to respond quickly and knowledgeably. The firm has practiced employee benefits law for more than 40 years and our attorneys handle all aspects of employee benefits plans for both taxable and tax-exempt employers.
Some examples of the services we provide for our clients are:
- Designing, implementing and terminating 401(k), profit sharing and pension plans and trusts for corporations, municipalities and other entities as well as self-employed individuals; ongoing advice concerning plan maintenance and coordination among plan administrators, record keepers and consultants
- Provide guidance on all aspects of ERISA benefit plans
- Representing governmental employers and advising government officials on all aspects of plan compliance and fiduciary duties including establishment and review of investment policy and guidelines and proxy voting policy
- Analyzing, developing and implementing retirement and deferred compensation arrangements for tax-exempt entities including 403(b) and 457 plans
- Advising employers and institutional clients on qualified plan and IRA compliance, distributions, funding, plan investments, prohibited transactions and fiduciary responsibilities
- Conducting compliance reviews for qualified plans, and representing clients before the Internal Revenue Service, U.S. Department of Labor, and the PBGC regarding plan compliance issues including plan audits, determination letter requests, breaches of fiduciary duty and prohibited transactions
- Representing clients regarding the various IRS and DOL qualified plan correction programs and applicable procedures, including voluntary correction of plan operation and compliance failures, under IRS and DOL procedures
- Designing non-qualified, deferred compensation and retirement benefit plans and executive compensation arrangements for key employees including Rabbi trusts and other funding arrangements
- Providing advice on plan and IRA distributions, including rollovers and integration of employee benefits with overall estate planning and tax planning for business owners, executives and professionals
- Advising businesses regarding all aspects of employee benefits in corporate transactions