Irve J. Goldman has practiced in the areas of bankruptcy law and commercial litigation for more than 20 years. In 1993, Irve was the first attorney in Connecticut to become a certified specialist in business bankruptcy and has represented a diversity of interests in bankruptcy proceedings, including companies reorganizing under Chapter 11, secured creditors, equipment lessors, franchisees, landlords and other creditor groups and asset purchasers in 363 sales.
He has represented companies in reorganization proceedings ranging in size from large retail businesses to smaller-sized concerns such as a marina in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands, a regional hardware chain, vintage car company and a cross section of other businesses and individuals. He also has served as a Chapter 11 Trustee, as well as represented Chapter 11 trustees in various bankruptcy cases.
A frequent author on topical bankruptcy issues, Irve has published articles in the American Bankruptcy Institute Law Journal dealing with standing issues in bankruptcy, prejudgment asset-freeze injunctions and executory contracts; in the Connecticut Bar Journal on the status of lien stripping under bankruptcy law; and in the Quinnipiac Law Review’s annual summary of decisions from the Second Circuit.
In addition to his bankruptcy experience, Irve has handled a wide variety of commercial disputes in both state and federal court, including actions involving civil RICO, breach of fiduciary duty, other business torts and debtor-creditor issues.
- Represented debtor corporations in Chapter 11 cases including Alliance Limosine, WOW Fitness Clubs, Dragone Classic Motor Cars, J. Silver, SC Corporation, Wigs by Paula, Service America Corporation, and Antonovich Furs
- Represented secured lenders in Chapter 11 cases of Kasden Fuel Company, Craftsman Press, Derecktor Shipyards and George Guidera
- Represented landlords in Chapter 11 cases of Mill River Foundation, Sage Crest II LLC, Waterworks Holding Corporation and Laurel Nursing Home
- Represented the Town of Ridgefield in the Chapter 11 case of its school bus transportation company
- Represented creditors' committees in SND Electronics, The Jewish Home for the Aged and Atrium Health Care
- Represented both creditors and debtors in bankruptcy litigation concerning claims objections, non-dischangeability proceedings, injunction proceedings, preferences, fraudulent transfers, involuntary petitions, executory contracts and leases and confirmation proceedings
- Successfully concluded asset sales in a number of bankruptcy proceedings
- Connecticut Bar Association - Executive Committee, Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section
- Fairfield County Bar Association, Bankruptcy Section
- American Bankruptcy Institute, Business Bankruptcy and Asset Sale Committees
- American Board of Certification, Business Bankruptcy
Honors & Awards
- Selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers list since 2006 in the areas of bankruptcy and business litigation
- Has received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (AV) for consecutive years since 2000