Environmental Law and Litigation
Pullman & Comley’s Environmental Law and Litigation attorneys are multi-disciplinary problem-solvers, helping clients address a range of issues, from “end of pipe” pollution control to sustainable practices, product life cycles, large-scale development and brownfield redevelopment.
Our environmental attorneys handle matters before federal and state courts and administrative agencies for situations involving all environmental media. Our litigators represent clients in toxic tort, Superfund (CERCLA) and contamination cost recovery proceedings in state and federal courts throughout the country, frequently serving as counsel for groups of responsible parties. In Connecticut, we appear before DEEP in contested hearings and on permitting, Transfer Act, remediation and brownfield redevelopment issues.
We also counsel our clients and assist them in acquiring and disposing of real estate assets and businesses. Our real world experience allows us to advise our clients on the risks and potential rewards associated with properties that have environmental issues. In addition, our attorneys possess knowledge of such cutting edge issues as vapor intrusion, green building and nanotechnology, which allows us to keep our clients aware of and compliant with changing regulations. Included in the scope of our environmental work are utility and energy projects, land use (planning, zoning and wetlands), telecommunications, brownfields, renewable energy and green development work. The breadth of our firm’s other resources allow us to coordinate with colleagues who practice in general real estate, corporate, tax, bankruptcy and criminal law.
It is always our goal to understand our client’s business and become a trusted resource in planning the client’s operations in an environmentally responsible, cost-effective way. Although we take pride in finding efficient and effective solutions to problems, our greatest pleasure comes from working with clients to anticipate and prevent problems.
- Successful defense of Fortune 500 companies in toxic torts suits in Connecticut, Vermont, Texas, Illinois, Arkansas, Washington and Louisiana
- Advantageous settlement in a mining waste case in Illinois
- Siting and permitting for a 620 megawatt natural gas fired turbine
- Recovery of remediation costs for property in Connecticut from a major U.S. car manufacturer
- Defense of Fortune 500 corporations, water companies and POTWs against criminal charges under federal and state environmental statutes
- Representation of utility companies, independent power producers and lending institutions in connection with the acquisition of natural gas pipelines and electric generation assets
- Defense of municipalities and manufacturers in stigma and personal injury cases arising from contamination of drinking water wells and proximity to a Superfund site
- Successful defense of Fortune 500 companies in criminal and civil environmental enforcement actions in California, Connecticut, Indiana, Louisiana and Wisconsin
- Successful defense of a Connecticut developer regarding alleged lead paint issues
- Counseling of Connecticut POTW in successful negotiation of water-quality based (TMDL) NPDES permit
- Advantageous settlement of remedial design defect claim against environmental consulting firm
- Settlement of a complex contamination situation allowing residential redevelopment of an industrial brownfield site
- Representation of joint venture in brownfield new urbanist redevelopment
- Brownfield Land Bank
- University Purchases Former Corporate HQ
- Americans With Disabilities Act Lawsuit Settled
- Great Pond Village: A New Community Grows on Windsor Brownfield
- Jackson Labs: Scientific Innovation and New Jobs for Connecticut
- Meeting Environmental Challenges: Magnetek, Inc.
- Kleen Energy: Generating Progress for an Advanced Electricity Project