William R. Connon is a member of the firm's School Law section. October, 2018 marked his 42nd year of experience advising and representing local and regional boards of education in a wide range of education law and special education law matters in Connecticut. In 2016 he was nominated by Governor Dannel P. Malloy and was approved by the Connecticut legislature to continue to serve as one of the management attorneys who serves on the State Department of Education's Interest Arbitration Panel to represent local and regional boards of education. In the field of public sector collective bargaining, William has negotiated close to two hundred certified employee collective bargaining agreements with teacher and administrator bargaining units, on behalf of Connecticut Boards of Education.
William was a founding director of the Canton Education Foundation. For ten years he served as an Adjunct Professor in the graduate program of the University of Connecticut NEAG School of Education's Department of Educational Leadership. A frequent speaker at professional conferences, William has also lectured on school law topics to graduate students at Southern Connecticut State University. He currently conducts "Legal Issues Forums" for Connecticut superintendents of schools, and serves on the Board of Directors for the Connecticut Transition Academy at Deep River, a clinical day school.
Connecticut Bar Association - member of the Labor and Employment Law section and the Education Law Committee
Hartford County Bar Association
Connecticut Council of School Attorneys
National Association of School Board Attorneys
Canton Education Foundation - founding director
Hartford Tennis Club - former director/vice president
Connecticut Transition Academy at Deep River - board of directors
News & Insights
- Hartford Business Journal, 07.01.2013
- The Courant, 06.06.2013
- Hartford Business Journal, 06.04.2013
- Connecticut Law Tribune, 06.03.2013
- SEMINAR: Learning Together: Recent Developments in the Law and Practical Solutions for Connecticut's Public Schools
- Developments from the 2019 Session of the Connecticut General Assembly: New Laws Affecting the Schools (and Public Employers)08.05.2019
- Developments From The 2018 Session of The Connecticut General Assembly: New Laws Affecting The Schools (and Public Employers)08.01.2018
- Summary of 2016 Connecticut Legislative Enactments Affecting The Public Schools and Public-Sector Employers
- ALERT: Paraprofessional FMLA Regulations Formally Adopted: School Paraprofessionals Will Now Be Eligible For FMLA Leave Once They Have Worked 950 Hours After May 12, 2014
- ALERT: Dear Colleague Letter Firmly Urges Districts to Abandon “Zero Tolerance” in Student Discipline Policies01.29.2014
- New State Law prohibits Use of “AlertNow” and Other Automated Notification Systems to Communicate the Date, Time and Location of Pending Referenda
Our attorneys routinely advise our clients on best practices to meet the challenges presented by dramatic changes in labor and employment laws.
Bar and Court Admissions
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. District Court, District of Connecticut
- U.S. Supreme Court
Syracuse University School of Law, J.D.
University of Connecticut, B.A.