Amy Murray is dedicated to providing effective, efficient, and innovative advice to health care clients. Her practice focuses on regulatory and transactional matters. Amy advises clients on compliance with Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement requirements, HIPAA, and health care fraud and abuse laws. Amy spends significant time representing clients appealing unfavorable Medicaid audit findings before the Department of Social Services and guiding clients through the certificate of need process with the Office of Health Strategy.
Amy’s transactional experience includes the formation, purchase, and sale of ambulatory surgery centers, medical practices, and other health care entities. Amy also advises on general corporate and business matters relating to the health care industry and prepares governing documents, contracts, and internal policies for physicians, physician groups, and other health care clients.
In addition, Amy advises colleges and universities on a broad range of issues, including Title IX as it relates to athletics and sexual misconduct, student privacy matters, and student and employee discipline.
Amy began her legal career with the University of Illinois Office of University Counsel, where she provided legal advice and guidance to administrators of the university and an affiliated hospital on health care issues, including compliance with the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.
Connecticut Bar Association, Health Law Section
American Health Lawyers Association
The Connection, Fairfield County Community Board, Member
Bridgeport Regional Business Council’s Leadership Greater Bridgeport, Class 29
Junior League of Stamford-Norwalk, Membership Council Director
AmeriCorps Member, Winnebago County Health Department, 2008-2009
Amy specializes in regulatory matters, including those related to certificate of need, Medicaid audits, and other regulatory proceedings. Amy also represents health care clients in transactional matters, as well as in hearings before the probate court. Representative matters include:
- Assisted lead attorney in securing certificate of need approval for a client to establish a substance abuse residential treatment facility in the State of Connecticut.
- Obtained certificate of need approval for a client to establish an intensive outpatient program in the State of Connecticut.
- Advised on the regulatory approval process for the affiliation of two hospital systems.
- Assisted lead counsel in representing a large physician group before the Department of Social Services in appealing alleged overpayments of well over $5 million, resulting in a reduction in overpayments to less than $1 million.
- Assisted lead counsel in representing a large physician practice before the Department of Social Services in appealing alleged over payments, ultimately negotiating a favorable settlement of approximately 20% of the alleged overpayment amount.
- Along with lead attorney, achieved favorable results for health care provider regarding reimbursement disputes with a private insurance company.
- Worked with lead attorney representing a hospital in a sale transaction pursuant to which its’ assets were acquired by a health system, including advising on post-closing regulatory filings and notifications.
- Worked with lead attorney to enable a health care provider to begin providing health care services in Connecticut, including establishing a limited liability company and drafting a management services agreement and associated transactional documents.
- Assisted lead attorney in representing a physician in the sale of his ambulatory surgery center, including drafting agreements and closing documents.
- Represent a hospital system in probate court hearings regarding the commitment of psychiatric patients and appointment of conservators of the person and estate.
- Provide risk management on-call services to a hospital system.
- Advised non-profit advocacy organization that represents the interests of certain health care providers on the potential impact of a significant bill, enabling the client to effectively advocate on behalf of its members.
“Access Health CT” is the business name and registered trademark for the Connecticut Health Insurance Exchange – the state’s health insurance marketplace established under the Affordable Care Act (ACA). Most consumers recognize Access Health CT by the bright yellow and orange logo used to introduce the Exchange to the public, but some individuals search for the Exchange on the Internet using terms such as: “Connecticut insurance exchange” or “CT health insurance exchange.”
Our health care attorneys were at the forefront of representing clients in mergers and acquisitions as well as in a host of regulatory matters in the ever-growing ambulatory surgery center sector.
Our Health Care attorneys counsel hospitals and physicians dealing with these economic pressures and represent physician groups and hospital systems in negotiating merger and asset acquisition agreements and employment and independent contractor agreements.
Bar and Court Admissions
University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2012
University of Illinois, B.S., 2008