The attorneys in our Tax practice regularly advise businesses, executives, individuals, tax-exempt entities, and governmental agencies and subdivisions on all aspects of federal, state, local and international tax matters. The Tax practice is actively involved in structuring transactions and tax planning, as well as in tax controversy work.
We regularly provide tax advice for:
- Business acquisitions and dispositions, including tax-free reorganizations, leveraged buy-outs, spin-offs and other divisive reorganizations, and transactions between corporations and their shareholders
- Venture capital and investment-related transactions, including partnerships or funds formed for investment transactions
- The organization of new business ventures, for emerging companies and non-public companies, including limited liability companies
- Charitable and other tax-exempt organizations
- Tax-exempt financings
- Controversies before state tax authorities and the Internal Revenue Service, including litigation arising from those disputes
- Obtaining advance rulings from the IRS and state tax authorities
- Estate planning and business succession planning
Members of the Tax practice provide advice to business clients in many sectors and to individuals with a view to minimizing taxation through properly structured transactions, tax-advantaged business operations and proper personal tax and investment planning. Members of the Tax practice also represent our clients at every stage of the IRS and state of Connecticut audit process, including in litigation.