PRESS RELEASE: Pullman & Comley Launches Social Media, Privacy and Internet Law Practice
BRIDGEPORT, CT,: Pullman & Comley, LLC has formed a Social Media, Privacy and Internet Law Practice, the law firm announced today.
The new practice group is an interdisciplinary team of litigation, labor and employment, corporate and technology attorneys dedicated to helping clients manage the risks and opportunities that they face in the rapidly evolving world of social media and the internet.
“This group brings together the substantial knowledge and experience we already have in the area of drafting social media policies, social media risk assessment and advising on privacy and cybersecurity issues,” said Rob Morris, chairman of Pullman & Comley. “The attorneys will stay current on the many legal issues surrounding the use of social media and the internet and educate our clients as the law continues to develop in this area.”
Practice members include Daniel A. Schwartz, a labor and employment attorney who authors the Connecticut Employment Law Blog and has become a leading voice on legal issues related to the use of social media; corporate attorney Steven J. Bonafonte, a former privacy officer of a Fortune 100 financial services company and current member of the Cybersecurity, Privacy and Infrastructure Protection practice; Aimee J. Wood and Cara A. Ceraso of Pullman & Comley’s Litigation Department; Tim Ronan, chair of the Cybersecurity, Privacy and Infrastructure Protection Practice; and Litigation associates Ted Lefebvre and Erick Russell.
The practice offers counsel on the following:
- Designing social media policies and best practices covering libel, privacy, First Amendment, human resources, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) and National Labor Relations Act (NLRA) issues
- Social media risk assessment and employee training
- Potential legal pitfalls in corporate use of social media to promote products and services, including compliance with Federal Trade Commission guidance
- Compliance with the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA), the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act (CFAA) and Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (COPPA)
Pullman & Comley’s attorneys also have experience in using the court system to protect their clients’ business interests in matters related to online trademark and copyright litigation, policing and prosecuting intellectual property issues; libel/defamation litigation; challenges by the National Labor Relations Board to a company’s social media policy; and state and federal law claims disputing an employer’s legitimate business need to discipline employees based on their online conduct.
The firm’s services in the area of privacy and cybersecurity include:
- Advising on best practices in privacy and data collection, data sharing; counseling on federal and state privacy regulations, as well as the privacy laws of other countries
- HIPAA Privacy and Security Manual drafting and training of staff
- Providing specialized security and privacy practices for specially regulated entities (e.g., water utilities, EPA and DHS/FEMA)
- Knowledge of the unique provisions and restrictions of the Electronic Communications Privacy Act, the Stored Communications Act and the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, as well as their state law corollaries
- Legal counsel relating to complex multi-state and international data breach events
- Conducting internal investigations of potential insider threats and guiding post-breach remediation
- Providing counsel regarding cybersecurity insurance coverage and risk assessment
- Counseling clients with respect to securing critical infrastructure and assimilating homeland security requirements established by the Homeland Security Act, USA PATRIOT Act, SAFETY Act and other relevant laws, regulations and procedures
- Counseling business clients with respect to employee misconduct involving misuse of technology and trade secrets
About Pullman & Comley LLC
Pullman & Comley, LLC provides a wide range of legal services to clients in the New England region, as well as throughout the United States. The firm’s major practice areas include business organizations and finance; environmental and land use; government finance; health care; labor, employment law and employee benefits; litigation; property valuation; real estate; regulatory, energy and telecommunications; and trusts and estates. The firm has offices in Bridgeport, Hartford, Stamford, Waterbury and White Plains. For more information, please visit www.pullcom.com.