Thomas F. Maxwell Jr. has broad experience representing individuals and corporations in numerous civil and criminal trials, investigations and proceedings. His primary areas of civil representation are product liability and toxic tort/asbestos defense; insurance law, including defense and casualty litigation, insurance fraud, and ERISA, life, health and disability litigation; personal injury; government liability; and trusts and estates litigation.
Tom also represents clients in criminal matters, including white collar crime in state and federal courts. He is experienced in alternate forums such as arbitration and mediation panels and administrative boards and commissions.
Earlier in his career, Tom served as assistant U.S. attorney for the District of Connecticut. Subsequently he continued to practice criminal law and also served as the special counsel to several Connecticut municipalities and as department advocate for the Bridgeport Police Department. He was a member of the Local Grievance Panel for Stamford/Norwalk Judicial District, and recently concluded a term as an attorney member of the Connecticut Statewide Grievance Committee. In addition, he is an attorney trial referee for the Fairfield Judicial District at Bridgeport.
- Defended numerous asbestos wrongful death and personal injury claims and lawsuits in state and federal court
- Personally prosecuted and defended numerous personal-injury actions involving seriously injured claimants as well as wrongful deaths
- Prosecuted and defended numerous cases involving violations of federal law
- Counseled numerous business entities on internal rules, policies and other violations
- Represented boards of ethics in major investigations and the litigation flowing from the investigations
- Prosecuted numerous sworn police officers for violations of departmental rules and regulations
- Defended municipalities in civil-rights suits and personal-injury actions
- Served as a special public defender in serious felony cases in the state and federal courts of the state of Connecticut
- Defense Research Institute - Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Committee; Corporate Integrity and White Collar Crime Committee; Product Liability and Life Committee; Health and Disability Committee
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Trial Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Bar Association - Executive Committee, Litigation Section; Insurance and Criminal Justice Sections
- Greater Bridgeport Bar Association - past president and current member of the Board of Directors
- American Bar Association - Litigation, Criminal Justice Sections
Honors & Awards
- The Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association 2017 President’s Award of Excellence
- Selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers list in 2006 - 2011 and 2016 in the area of civil litigation, criminal defense and insurance coverage
- Received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (AV)
- Appointed by the Judges of the Superior Court, State of Connecticut, to serve as an attoney member of the Statewide Grievance Committee - 2007-2013