Steven J. Stafstrom Jr. practices in Pullman & Comley’s Litigation Department in the areas of commercial and business, banking, securities and general civil litigation, as well as real estate and land use.
Steve's practice includes representation of businesses and individuals before state and federal courts and arbitration and mediation boards in matters involving contract disputes, unfair trade practices, misappropriation of trade secrets and proprietary information, employment disputes, breach of fiduciary duty and corporate veil piercing. He also represents investment advisors, broker dealers and investors in Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) securities arbitrations and mediations. He also handles zoning and land use matters before Connecticut municipal agencies and appeals in Superior Court.
Prior to joining Pullman & Comley, Steve was a summer associate at the firm. He currently serves as Chair of the firm's orientation committee and on its recruiting committee.
In addition to his practice at the firm, Steve is a member of the Connecticut General Assembly representing the 129th Assembly District (Bridgeport). In that role, Representative Stafstrom serves as Assistant Majority Leader, Vice-Chairman of the Judiciary Committee and on the Finance, Revenue and Bonding, and Planning and Development Committees.
- Represented chemical processing company in a multi-state federal breach of contract action
- Represented independent power producer in connection with insurance coverage litigation associated with a construction accident that involved multiple injuries, deaths and property damage
- Defended real estate development company in a $22 million veil piercing, successor liability and fraudulent transfer case
- Defended shareholder derivative action and member dispute involving holding company for skilled nursing facility
- Represented town in litigation alleging fraud, misrepresentation and breach of contract in connection with a tax sale
- Represented a community association in land use appeal
- Represented leading college in FINRA arbitration and recovered nearly 100 percent of losses incurred as a result of brokers failure to make trades of stock in accordance with long-standing agreement
- Secured dismissal of case for financial advisor in lawsuit brought by individual who claimed significant losses with the market crash and that her account opening agreement was a contract of adhesion
- Defended a broker dealer in FINRA arbitration claiming losses during the market downturn where panel rejected bulk of claims and limited its award to out-of-pocket costs
- Regularly represents healthcare providers in probate proceedings that involve conservatorship and involuntary commitment applications
- American Bar Association - Litigation Section, Securities Litigation Committee
- Connecticut Bar Association - Litigation Section; Federal Practice Section; former member, Young Lawyers Section Executive Committee
- Federal Bar Council
- Raymond E. Baldwin Inn of Court
- Greater Bridgeport Bar Association - past-chair, Young Lawyers Section
- Fairfield University - former vice-president, Alumni Association; alumni representative, Board of Trustees academic affairs and prep school committees
- City of Bridgeport - former member, City Council; member, Black Rock Neighborhood Revitalization Zone Board of Directors
- Bridgeport Regional Business Council - Graduate of Class of 20 of the Leadership Greater Bridgeport Program and current member, board of directors
- Saint Ann Roman Catholic Church - Trustee
- Alpha Community Services YMCA - former vice chair, board of managers
- City Lights Gallery - past president
Honors & Awards
- Recipient of the Connecticut Law Tribune's "2015 New Leaders of the Law" award
- Selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers "Rising Stars" list since 2013 in the area of business litigation
- Recipient of the Fairfield County Business Journal's "40 Under 40" award for 2014