Russell Anderson’s business and technology practice focuses on assisting clients accomplish “what’s next” – whether “next” is a new mobile app, marketing campaign or medical device. In particular, Russ has expertise helping clients in the software, e-commerce, marketing, market research, healthcare and biotechnology industries. Russ excels at partnering with clients, frequently in the role of outside general counsel, to help them achieve their goals. Russ is a Member in Pullman & Comley’s Business and Finance practice.
His general business practice includes representing clients in the structure and consummation of mergers and acquisitions, joint venture, and financing transactions. Additionally, he is experienced in both for-profit and nonprofit corporate governance matters.
In the marketing and advertising field, Russ assists clients structure compliant advertising and promotions, including sweepstakes and contests. He has experience in negotiating agreements between advertisers and agencies. Russ has presented on several occasions to the American Association of Advertising Agencies (the 4As), and is a member of its Legal Affairs Committee. Russ also provides trademark and copyright registration and advice.
Russ previously served as outside governmental affairs counsel to the largest trade group for market research businesses in the United States, and continues to participate as a regular presenter to the Insights Association’s General Counsel Forums. Russ has significant expertise representing a wide range of firms in the market research industry, such as custom and syndicated market research, data analytics and panel providers.
Russ also represents pharmaceutical, medical device, and mobile health-related entities. As outside general counsel to a pharmaceutical contract manufacturer, Russ drafted and negotiated numerous contracts common in the pharmaceutical industry, such as product development arrangements and commercial supply agreements. Russ also represents health care providers, including physicians, hospitals and home health care agencies, on matters relating to contracts, accreditation, licensure and Medicare/Medicaid.
As Russ counsels clients that collect and use large amounts of personal data, he understands the expansive web of state, federal and international privacy and data protection regulations, including questions regarding privacy policies and procedures; security breaches; HIPAA and HITECH; cross-border data transfers and processing (including GDPR compliance and EU Privacy Shield certification); and email and telemarketing regulation.
Software and Intellectual Property
- Negotiated a series of contracts on behalf of a national sports association with a development consultancy and several major software companies to transform the association’s website and underlying infrastructure.
- Assisted a clothing manufacturer negotiate rights to create licensed apparel using trademarks of an international auto racing event and a renowned charity.
- As part of a substantial investment by a private equity firm in an expanding cosmetics company conducted a review of the cosmetic company’s advertising materials for federal (including FDA and FTC) and state legal compliance.
- Drafted a form of “ambassador agreement” for use with social influencers by a video production client on behalf of its global brand customer.
- Negotiated a global master service agreement for a publicly-traded market research client with one of its largest pharmaceutical customers.
- Advised a customer satisfaction research firm on how to comply with numerous European privacy laws as well as all applicable industry codes in structuring an international survey program on behalf of its Fortune 500 client.
- Negotiated an alliance agreement on behalf of a global market research firm with a web analytics provider to permit the two parties to present a joint offering to the market.
Biotech and Healthcare
- Represented a pharmaceutical and medical device contract manufacturer as outside general counsel, culminating in its successful sale to a multi-national pharmaceutical concern.
- Negotiated numerous collaborative agreements, including product development and commercial supply agreements.
- Worked hand-in-hand with a start-up pharmaceutical firm to secure financing and create a marketing strategy by providing compliance advice on FDA regulations, Open Payments and fraud and abuse compliance.
- Represented a Connecticut-based health care provider in the investigation of a data breach by HHS’s Office for Civil Rights. OCR determined that no further action was required.
- Connecticut Bar Association - Business Law Section
- American Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Insights Association
Honors & Awards
- Named a Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in 2009, 2010 and 2018