Russell Anderson is a technology attorney that serves clients in the software, marketing, marketing research, healthcare and biotechnology industries. He is an associate in the Business and Finance practice.
In the marketing and advertising field, Russ assists clients structure compliant advertising and promotions, including sweepstakes and contests. He also has experience in negotiating agreements between advertisers and agencies. Russ previously served as outside governmental affairs counsel to the largest trade group for market research businesses in the United States and has significant expertise representing a wide range of firms in that industry, such as custom and syndicated market research, data analytics and panel providers.
Russ also represents pharmaceutical and medical device-related entities. As outside general counsel to a pharmaceutical contract manufacturer, Russ drafted and negotiated numerous contracts common in the pharmaceutical industry, such as product development arrangements and commercial supply agreements. Russ also represents health care providers, including physicians, hospitals and home health care agencies, on matters relating to contracts, accreditation, licensure and Medicare/Medicaid.
As Russ counsels clients that collect and use large amounts of personal data, he understands the expansive web of state, federal and international privacy and data protection regulations, including questions regarding privacy policies and procedures; security breaches; HIPAA and HITECH; cross-border data transfers and processing (including EU Privacy Shield certification); and email and telemarketing regulation.
His general business practice includes representing clients in the structure and consummation of numerous purchase, sale and financing transactions. Additionally, he is experienced in both for profit and nonprofit corporate governance matters.
Software and Intellectual Property
- Negotiated a series of contracts on behalf of a national sports association with a development consultancy and several major software companies to transform the association’s website and underlying infrastructure.
- Assisted a clothing manufacturer negotiate rights to create licensed apparel using trademarks of an international auto racing event and a renowned charity.
- As part of a substantial investment by a private equity firm in an expanding cosmetics company conducted a review of the cosmetic company’s advertising materials for federal (including FDA and FTC) and state legal compliance.
- Negotiated a global master service agreement for a publicly-traded market research client with one of its largest pharmaceutical customers.
- Advised a customer satisfaction research firm on how to comply with numerous European privacy laws as well as all applicable industry codes in structuring an international survey program on behalf of its Fortune 500 client.
- Negotiated an alliance agreement on behalf of a global market research firm with a web analytics provider to permit the two parties to present a joint offering to the market.
Biotech and Healthcare
- Represented a pharmaceutical and medical device contract manufacturer as outside general counsel, culminating in its successful sale to a multi-national pharmaceutical concern.
- Negotiated numerous collaborative agreements, including product development and commercial supply agreements.
- Worked hand-in-hand with a start-up pharmaceutical firm to secure financing and create a marketing strategy by providing compliance advice on FDA regulations, Open Payments and fraud and abuse compliance.
- Represented a Connecticut-based health care provider in the investigation of a data breach by HHS’s Office for Civil Rights. OCR determined that no further action was required.
- Connecticut Bar Association - Business Law Section
- American Bar Association - Business Law Section
- International Association of Privacy Professionals
- Insights Association
- Newtown Baseball League - coach
Honors & Awards
- Named a Super Lawyers "Rising Star" in 2009, 2010