Michael N. LaVelle practices in the areas of labor and employment law including employment discrimination, labor board and other administrative agency practice and wrongful discharge litigation, and municipal law.
Mick has broad trial experience, both jury and non-jury, before state and federal civil courts and before administrative agencies that regulate employment. He successfully litigated the case of Bridgeport Hospital v. Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, et al., 232 Conn. 91 (1995), in which the Connecticut Supreme Court curtailed the commission’s ability to award damages against employers. He serves as a special master for the U.S. District Court.
He is experienced in both the private and public sector in collective bargaining negotiations and contract drafting, labor contract administration and trials of grievance arbitration, and preparation of employment guidelines, employee handbooks and manuals. He advises clients on general personnel administration, executive terminations and wage and hour policies. He has written and spoken on a variety of employment-related issues for local and national audiences. Mick has also served as a town attorney for many years, including representation in numerous zoning and other land use appeals.
- Extensive trial work before employment regulating agencies such as EEOC, Connecticut Commission on Human Rights and Opportunities, Workers Compensation Commission, state and federal Departments of Labor, Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs and National Labor Relations Board
- Argued cases before state and federal civil courts including in the developing area of wrongful discharge; U.S. District Court cases arising from Title VII, the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and ERISA; and employment cases before the Connecticut Supreme Court and the Second Circuit Court of Appeals
- Connecticut Association of Municipal Attorneys - officer and director
- Homes for the Brave - chairman, board of directors; organization that provides support and resources for homeless veterans
- The Kennedy Center - board of directors
Honors & Awards
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers to Businesses in the area of labor and employment
- Received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (AV)