Michael J. Andreana practices in the areas of tax-exempt financings, public-private development projects and tax credit transactions.
Mike serves as bond counsel to more than twenty (20) different Connecticut municipalities as well as many State authorities and agencies. He also provides tax advice and guidance to the firm's clients that issue tax-exempt debt.
Mike was the principal drafter of Public Act No. 15-57, Connecticut's new TIF legislation. In addition, Mike has represented government entities with respect to the creation and use of Special Tax and Special Assessment Districts to issue debt for public infrastructure improvements, including Harbor Point in Stamford and Steel Point in Bridgeport.
Mike also represents developers, governmental agencies and other participants in various tax credit transactions, including Historic Tax Credits, New Market Tax Credits and Low Income Housing Tax Credits. Mike's services include helping his clients navigate the numerous Tax Code intricacies that typically arise in a tax credit transaction.
- Counsel to the Harbor Point and Steel Point Improvement Districts in connection with their establishment and use of tax increment financings
- Bond counsel to a municipality in connection with the issuance of conduit revenue bonds pursuant to the Connecticut City and Town Development Act
- Counsel to a municipal redevelopment authority in connection with the financing of renovations to an historic municipal building through the use of Historic Tax Credits and New Market Tax Credits
- Represented municipal authority in connection with the privatization of its sludge facility
- Bond counsel to the Connecticut Health and Educational Facilities Authority for its most recent financing of child care facilities throughout the state
- Financing and tax credit counsel to the Capital Region Development Authority in connection with CRDA's housing projects in downtown Hartford
- Established and represents one of the first special assessment districts in the state of Connecticut
- Bond counsel to municipalities and districts in connection with the lease financing of equipment and structures
- Financing counsel to a Connecticut 501(c)(3) organization in connection with the issuance of variable rate debt and a related variable-to-fixed swap transaction
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Connecticut Government Finance Officers Association
- Council of Small Towns
- Council on Law in Higher Education
- Connecticut Economic Development Association
- Connecticut Main Street Center - board member
- Greater Hartford Legal Aid - board member
- Youth lacrosse coach
Honors & Awards
- Named 2015 "Member of the Year" by the Connecticut Economic Development Association
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of public finance law since 2012