Marie V. Phelan practices in the area of public finance.
She is bond counsel to the University of Connecticut, the South Central Connecticut Regional Water Authority, the Connecticut Innovations, Incorporated, the Connecticut Health and Educational Facilities Authority and several municipalities in Connecticut. She has been bond counsel or issuer’s counsel to a number of housing authorities and is special counsel to the Connecticut Housing Finance Authority. In addition, she has represented numerous underwriters, trustees and borrowers in connection with the issuance of general obligation and revenue bonds.
Marie has extensive experience with general obligation and revenue financing, clean water fund financings, pension financing, lease financings and the issuance of certificates of participation. She has worked with distressed municipalities and drafted legislation in connection with multiple municipal finance issues.
- Bond counsel to a water authority in connection with numerous revenue bond financings, totaling over $500 million in aggregate principal amount
- Bond counsel to a university in connection with more than $1 billion in debt service commitment bonds and refunding bonds
- SWAP counsel to a water authority in connection with the execution, delivery and subsequent termination of an $80 million forward dated swap agreement
- Bond counsel to a university in connection with the lease financing of a cogeneration facility
- Bond counsel to a municipality in connection with the financing of its wastewater treatment plant and incinerator with taxable and tax exempt certificates of participation
- Bond counsel to several municipalities in connection with their issuances of pension obligation bonds
- Bond counsel to a housing authority in connection with the issuance of capital fund financing program revenue bonds
- Disclosure counsel to a municipality in connection with the issuance of municipal tax increment financing bonds and bond counsel in connection with the refunding of such bonds
- Bond counsel to a municipality in connection with the issuance of Qualified Zone Academy Bonds
- Representation of numerous underwriters in connection with the issuance of municipal, university and state of Connecticut bond and certificate of participation issues
- Representation of several housing authorities in connection with the issuance of bonds to finance housing projects owned by 501(c)(3) corporations
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Council of Development Finance Agencies
- Government Finance Officers Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- National Association of Housing and Redevelopment Officials
- State of Connecticut's Municipal Finance Advisory Commission - former chairman
- Connecticut Leukemia and Lymphoma Society - 2005 Woman of the Year
Honors & Awards