Laura Bellotti Cardillo practices in the area of ad valorem personal and real property tax appeals and eminent domain proceedings.
She represents property owners and lessees seeking equitable assessments of their property interests in municipalities throughout Connecticut. Her practice also involves pursuing just compensation for individuals and entities whose property is taken in condemnation.
Laura represents clients at both the informal and formal levels of the revaluation process. She meets with revaluation firms, local boards of assessment appeals and assessors on behalf of clients seeking equitable assessments of real property and commercial personal property, as well as in audits of commercial personal property accounts. She counsels clients concerning their filings of personal property declarations, income and expense reports and exemption applications filed with municipalities. Laura has worked with clients to negotiate just compensation for property interests threatened with eminent domain and she has appealed condemning authorities' compensation awards.
Laura has been involved in the valuation of property interests since 1992, when she worked for a Massachusetts-based property revaluation firm and then as a consultant in the Valuation Services Group of an international accounting firm for four years. Her experience includes the valuation and assessment of industrial, retail, hotel and resort, office, special use real estate, apartment complexes and business personal property in the United States and abroad. She also has conducted real estate re-use studies, housing market studies and financial evaluations of a supportive housing program.
Laura has co-authored the Connecticut Chapter of the American Bar Association’s Property Tax Deskbook and its Eminent Domain Compendium on an annual basis and has been published in a variety of other professional resources. She is a frequent speaker at events and seminars on the topics of eminent domain and property tax.
- Represents clients at both the informal and formal levels of the ad valorem assessment and revaluation processes
- Represents taking authorities in appeals of just compensation awarded to property owners in eminent domain matters
- Experienced in the valuation and assessment of industrial, retail, hotel and resort, office, special use real estate, apartment complexes and business personal property in the United States and abroad
- Conducted real estate re-use studies, housing market studies and financial evaluations of a supportive housing program
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Hartford County Bar Association - Young Lawyers Section; Women Attorneys Section
- Appraisal Institute - affiliate member
- Connecticut Bar Foundation - James W. Cooper Fellow
- Institute for Professionals in Taxation
- Commercial Real Estate Women (CREW)
- Leadership Greater Hartford - graduate, Quest 2004 class
- The Junior League of Hartford - past president, 2009-2010
- VNA HealthCare - Development Committee, Women's Golf Outing Committee
Honors & Awards
- Named to the Super Lawyers "Connecticut Rising Stars" list in the area of tax in 2011 and 2012
- Named as a "New Leader of the Law" by the Connecticut Law Tribune, 2012
- Recipient of the Hartford Business Journal's "40 Under Forty" award