Karen P. Wackerman is a member of the Business and Finance practice where she focuses on corporate law, investment management regulation and health care law.
Karen assists her clients with an array of business concerns, including formation, shareholder and operating agreements; financings, mergers and acquisitions and business contracts of all kinds. Karen is frequently called upon to provide general outside counsel services to her clients, including advice regarding corporate governance and corporate secretarial matters. She routinely works with clients in their dealings with federal and state boards and agencies, and helps them with obtaining licenses from state and federal boards and commissions.
She regularly counsels both employers and executives in the negotiation and drafting of employment agreements, severance agreements, consulting agreements, non-compete and restrictive covenant agreements and other employment-related contracts.
Additionally, Karen works with investment management clients on regulatory matters, assisting them in creating investment management firms, forming investment funds, registering investment advisors with state and federal regulators, and creating and implementing effective compliance programs. Karen also negotiates with the SEC and state regulatory agencies on behalf of clients in enforcement proceedings and licensing matters.
Karen’s health care practice includes working with physicians and physician groups, hospitals and other health care entities. Karen advises health care clients on regulatory issues, including Stark law, HIPAA and anti-fraud compliance, as well as certificate of need applications. She is experienced in transactions that include equity and asset purchases and buyouts, affiliations among health care entities, and employment and severance agreement involving health care parties.
- Represented an investment adviser in its initial registration with the State of Connecticut Department of Banking, Securities Division, including creation of a compliance program, preparation of form investment adviser agreement, and interactions with the Securities Division; provided advice regarding compliance with Regulation D for the client’s investment funds and filed Form Ds with various states; and transferred the client’s investment adviser registration to the SEC as required by new Dodd-Frank Act statutory amendments.
- Conduct annual reviews of investment adviser clients, in conjunction with Form ADV annual reports, to evaluate compliance programs and firm practices.
- Successfully negotiated with state securities regulators to resolve issues relating to a client’s regulatory compliance.
- Successfully represented a New York corporation in its request to the Elevator Installation, Repair and Maintenance Work Examining Board of the Connecticut Department of Consumer Protection for an Unlimited Elevator Contractor license for its employee.
- Represented a Connecticut industrial manufacturing company in its acquisition of the assets of a related company and the accompanying financing.
- Represented a client in three transactions, including the sale of the stock of a day care center and the asset sales of two nursery schools.
- Represented the majority owners of a private corporation in the redemption of their stock by the corporation, including the negotiation of the terms of the redemption agreement, securities agreements, notes and other documentation.
- Connecticut Bar Association - Business Law Section, Health Law Section
- American Bar Association - Business Law Section
- Fairfield County Bar Association - co-chair, Business Law Section
- New Haven County Bar Association
- American Health Lawyers Association
- University of Connecticut School of Law - associate clinical professor of law (1995-1998, 2000-2001)
- Fairfield Representative Town Meeting - elected representative, District 7, 2015-present
- Town of Wilton, Inlands Wetlands Commission - former member
- Visiting Nurse & Hospice of Fairfield County - Board of Directors and former Chairman of the Board, 2002-2015