Karen A. Jeffers is a corporate and business law attorney with more than thirty years of experience working with clients in the health care and marketing and advertising industries, among others.
Karen’s general corporate and business law practice encompasses everything from mergers and acquisitions to corporate governance. She has significant experience in structuring and drafting affiliation and joint venture agreements, as well as complex, long-term service agreements. She serves as both legal counsel and a sounding board for businesses confronting a problem or weighing a new opportunity. Karen represents clients in commercial arbitration proceedings and counsels clients regarding employee terminations, compliance with applicable laws and regulations, and responding to employee claims. With a litigation background, Karen is a skilled negotiator and advises both employers and high-level executives regarding executive severance agreements.
Karen has been involved in virtually all aspects of hospital operations from the legal perspective, including serving on ethics committees and guiding clients through self-reporting proceedings under the OIG’s voluntary disclosure protocol. Karen has assisted in drafting health care legislation at the state level and uses her extensive corporate and business law experience to assist health care clients with transactions, affiliations and corporate reorganizations. Karen also serves as outside counsel to a state health insurance exchange and has broad knowledge of the Affordable Care Act and other legal issues that affect state exchanges.
In the marketing and advertising industries, Karen has supported clients through the major changes that have taken place during the past two decades. Her experience has allowed her to represent both agencies and advertisers in negotiating agency/client agreements that make sense and are fair. She finds practical solutions to problems that arise in the course of creating a campaign and frequently assists clients with all of the legal elements that are involved – from claim substantiation and regulatory issues to drafting music and talent agreements. In support of these and other clients, Karen also provides trademark and copyright registration and advice.
- American Association of Advertising Agencies - Legal Advisory Group
- American Bar Association - Health Law and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- Connecticut Bar Association - Business Law and Intellectual Property Law Sections
- Connecticut Health Lawyers Association
- Eagle Hill Southport School - Board of Directors
- The Business Council of Fairfield County - Board of Directors
- Trinity College Women's Leadership Council
- Trinity College Presidential Advisors
- Trinity College Board of Trustees (1992-1998)
- Visiting Nurse Services of Connecticut, Inc. - Board of Directors