Jessica Grossarth Kennedy practices in the areas of bankruptcy and government finance. In bankruptcy matters, she represents debtors, secured and unsecured creditors, creditors’ committees and trustees in formal bankruptcy proceedings and out of court workouts. Jessica has been involved in a variety of bankruptcy proceedings and has appeared in the District of Connecticut and the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York. She has participated in numerous bankruptcy appeals to the Federal District Courts.
In government finance, Jessica drafts financing documents and closing documents, including resolutions, ordinances, purchase contracts, Clean Water Fund documents, opinions and bond and note closing documents. She has conducted due diligence and legal research with respect to state and municipal law issues relating to the issuances of bonds and notes.
Jessica serves as chair of the firm’s Diversity Committee. She was a summer associate at the firm in 2001 and became a full time associate in 2002.
While at Fairfield University, Jessica was a member of the women’s Division I basketball team and upon graduation earned a trip to San Francisco to try out professionally for the American Basketball League. In 2005, she was inducted into Fairfield University’s Athletic Hall of Fame. She received several academic honors at Quinnipiac University including Distinguished Academic Achievement Awards in criminal law and trial practice and the Academic Excellence Award.
- Successfully represented four Connecticut fitness facilities in their Chapter 11 proceedings
- Represented corporate and individual debtors in successfully emerging from Chapter 11
- Represented creditors, debtors and trustees in Chapter 7 and 11 in litigation concerning claims objections, discharge and dischargeability of debts, preferences, fraudulent conveyances, injunction proceedings, relief from the automatic stay, executory contracts and unexpired leases
- Successfully negotiated settlements for creditors involved in bankruptcy litigation
- Represented creditors in bankruptcy appeals to the Federal District Court
- Represented debtors in the sale of their assets through bankruptcy proceedings
- Represented individuals in divorce proceedings
- Represented individuals in bankruptcy proceedings that have issues related to divorce proceedings
- Bond counsel to several municipalities in connection with bond issuances and refundings
- Underwriters' counsel with respect to the issuances of municipal bonds
- Connecticut Bar Association - Commercial Law and Bankruptcy Section, chair
- Connecticut Bar Association - LGBT Section, past chair
- Young Bankruptcy Lawyers Group - founder and chair
- Turnaround Management Association - member
- International Women's Insolvency and Restructuring Confederation
- Greater Bridgeport Bar Association
- American Bankruptcy Institute
- Lawyers Collaborative for Diversity - board of directors; 2015 Edwin Archer Randolph Awards Ceremony Host Committee member
Honors & Awards
- Inducted into the Connecticut Women's Basketball Hall of Fame, April 2017
- Recipient of the "Champion of Diversity" award from the Fairfield County Business Journal, April 2017
- Recipient of the Connecticut Women's Education and Legal Fund's "40 Women for the Next 40 Years" award, 2014
- Named to the Super Lawyers "Connecticut Rising Stars" list in the area of bankruptcy and creditor/debtor rights in 2010, 2011 and 2012
- Named as a "New Leader of the Law" by the Connecticut Law Tribune, 2012
- "40 Under 40" Business Leaders Award from the Fairfield County Business Journal, June 2010