Collin P. Baron is chair of Pullman & Comley’s Health Care Department.
Collin has been involved in a wide variety of corporate health care matters during his career at the firm. His involvement has encompassed virtually all areas of health care law and has included representation of individual and group physicians, dentists and other health care providers; federally qualified health centers; rehabilitation centers; nursing homes; and provider groups. Along with many other assignments and roles, Collin has served for more than 25 years as outside general counsel of two Connecticut acute care hospitals during his long career as a Health Care attorney.
Collin has advised clients on such matters as corporate governance; mergers, affiliations, joint ventures and corporate restructurings; sale and acquisition of provider practices; Stark, fraud and abuse and HIPAA compliance; tax issues related to nonprofits and charitable organizations; Medicare and Medicaid reimbursement; managed care contracting and internal audits, investigations and corporate compliance. He has also represented numerous providers in proceedings before the Connecticut Office of Health Care Access, counseled providers on medical staff issues including credentialing, peer review and disciplinary proceedings, and drafted and implemented corporate compliance programs.
- Representation of hospitals in affiliation with other hospitals, including conducting due diligence; negotiating and drafting affiliation agreements and governing documents; and obtaining regulatory approvals
- Representation of hospitals and physician groups in negotiating and establishing joint ventures compliant with Stark and AKS
- Representation before the Connecticut Office of Health Care Access in certificate of need proceedings
- Representation of hospital medical staffs in proceedings to terminate physician membership and staff privileges
- Representation of physicians in proceedings before the Connecticut Board of Medical Examiners
- Development of hospital policies and procedures affecting such areas as patient resuscitation, organ donation, AIDS testing and informed consent
- Representation of hospitals in the development and implementation of physician recruiting programs
- American Health Lawyers Association
- Connecticut Health Lawyers Association - former president