Christopher P. McCormack’s environmental law practice includes litigation, enforcement defense, administrative proceedings and the environmental aspects of corporate and real estate transactions. Chris’s litigation practice also includes environmental insurance coverage matters and complex commercial litigation.
He has extensive experience in complex multi-party remediation liability litigation, including lead litigation counsel responsibility for Superfund site coalitions. He has defended and prosecuted numerous environmental cost recovery actions in state and federal courts.
Before joining Pullman & Comley, Chris was a partner at the firm of Tyler, Cooper & Alcorn, LLP, where he was chair of the Environmental Practice Group.
- Lead litigation counsel for members of Superfund site coalition on cost contribution claims against numerous corporate and municipal defendants
- Representation of publicly traded company in connection with contaminated urban site, including negotiation of consent order for site investigation and remediation, defense of third-party environmental liability claims and assistance with reuse options
- Defense of environmental consulting firm on contract and professional liability claims arising out of investigation and remediation of contaminated site
- Defense of insurance coverage claims by petroleum retailer for multiple Connecticut sites with underground storage tanks and gasoline releases
- Prosecution and defense of numerous commercial litigation matters involving contract and business loss claims, commercial torts and unfair trade practices for clients in manufacturing, computer equipment, insurance and the professional services sectors
- Counseling of publicly traded clients on securities disclosure and accounting treatment of contingent environmental liabilities
- Environmental due diligence support for transaction involving sale of business assets in multiple states, including coordination with site investigations, regulatory agency file review and compliance evaluation
- Environmental due diligence support for numerous corporate and real estate transactions, including business operations subject to environmental regulation and brownfields properties including Connecticut Transfer Act sites
- Environmental insurance coverage: defense and prosecution of coverage claims and counseling and representation of clients in obtaining coverage to manage transactional risk
- American Bar Association - vice chair, Pesticides, Chemical Regulation and Right-to-Know Committee; Environment, Energy, and Resources Section
- Connecticut Bar Association - Executive Committee, legislative liason, Environmental Law Section
- ASTM International - Committee E50 on Environmental Assessment Standards - membership secretary; Task Group for Revision of the E1903 Phase II Environmental Site Assessment Standard - task group chair
- Housatonic Community College Foundation - board of directors
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church, Fairfield, CT - vestry member (2008-2011)
Honors & Awards
- Listed in The Best Lawyers in America in the area of environmental law since 2003
- Listed in Chambers USA, America's Leading Lawyers to Businesses
- Selected to the Connecticut Super Lawyers list in 2007 - 2012 in the area of environmental litigation
- James W. Cooper Fellow of the Connecticut Bar Foundation
- Award of Appreciation" from ASTM Committee E50 in November 2011 for Phase II Revision Task Group leadership
- Received the highest peer review rating by Martindale-Hubbell (AV)