Adam S. Mocciolo provides “business-first” counseling and advocacy to clients in sophisticated, multinational employment matters including advice on hiring, termination, compliance, and human resources policies; litigation in multiple federal- and state-court jurisdictions; internal investigations; business immigration; and cross-border employment law issues.
He also works in related cross-disciplinary legal matters with employment-law and HR implications, including intellectual property, data privacy, and corporate transactions.
Adam represents clients in financial services, technology, e-commerce, telecommunications, medical and biotechnology, manufacturing, and professional services industries, among others.
He has served in leadership capacities in national, state, and local bar association, has been named a “New Leader in the Law” by the Connecticut Law Tribune and a “Connecticut Super Lawyer in employment law, and he holds the highest peer-review rating – “AV Preeminent” – from Martindale Hubbell.
Prior to entering the practice of law, Adam served on the professional staff of the United States Senate.
- Obtained affirmance by the Second Circuit Court of Appeals of a summary judgment ruling in favor of a client school district on a school principal’s retaliation claim
- Obtained dismissal by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission of a religious discrimination claim with implications for the client national franchisor’s system-wide polices on operating hours
- Successfully litigated a seven-figure whistleblower retaliation lawsuit under the Sarbanes-Oxley Act by a corporate executive, arising from a disputed merger transaction of a publicly-traded energy company
- Counsel to a group of grocery distributors in a statewide putative independent-contractor misclassification suit
- Advised a European financial services firm on the development and rollout of human resources policies and employment agreements for its newly-established office in the United States
- Counseled an executive of a United Kingdom bank on a cross-border retaliation claim involving the intersection of U.K. and U.S. employment law
- Advise employers on hiring and termination issues, contract terms, and restrictive covenant issues, including for highly-compensated executives and professionals, and negotiate same with opposing parties and counsel
- Counsel clients on wage-and-hour, leave, discipline, training, and benefits matters, and draft related employment policies and critical documents
- Conducted internal investigation of race discrimination claims for client road construction firm
- Provide training to client human resources personnel and in-house lawyers on investigative techniques and related ethical considerations
- Advised a global technology company on employment eligibility issues and personnel transfers arising from relocation of its corporate base to the United States and its acquisitions of multiple foreign subsidiaries
- Routinely counsel business clients and investors on employment-based immigration matters including H-1B and L-1 visas, labor certification and permanent resident sponsorship, and I-9 compliance
Related cross-disciplinary legal matters
- Counsel clients in data privacy matters, including employee privacy and emerging GDPR compliance issues
- Successfully prosecuted claims for trade secret misappropriation and copyright infringement against a software client’s information technology vendor who created a competing product
- Advised an internationally-known teaching hospital on complying with export-control regulations in its employment of foreign-national physicians and researchers
- Counseled a global apparel company on ethics and government contracting regulations in connection with its employment of public university sports coaches as product endorsers
- Serve as a volunteer mediator to the Connecticut Office of Public Hearings, including in employment discrimination and whistleblower matters
- Connecticut Bar Association Federal Practice Section – Executive Committee and co-chair of the Civil Practice Committee
- Connecticut Bar Journal - Board of Editors
- Greater Bridgeport Bar Association - board of directors; co-chair, Scholarship Committee
- Federal Bar Council
- Raymond E. Baldwin Inn of Court
- International Association of Privacy Professionals - Certified Information Privacy Professional
- Cardinal Shehan Center, Inc. - board of directors
- Harvard Club of Fairfield County – board of directors
- World Affairs Forum, Inc.– board of directors
Honors & Awards
- Rated AV Preeminent by Martindale-Hubbell
- Named a “Super Lawyer” since 2017 in employment law, immigration, intellectual property, and business litigation (previously named a “Rising Star” from 2013-16)
- Recipient of the 2013 Connecticut Law Tribune's "New Leaders in the Law" award
- Named to the American Institute of Legal Counsel's 'Ten Best' list for client satisfaction among Connecticut immigration attorneys